BA to keep DKR(Dakar) from BMI route network?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• Senator
    Participant

Bucknet, it gets even more exciting at night when Delta brings one aircraft from ATL and one from JFK, swap passengers and one aircraft heads to CPT and the other to JNB. I am not sure if DL has Fifth Freedom Right on the DKR-JNB/CPT flights. This is how it was back when I visited last, about two years ago.

I believe even SAA make a pit-stop on their way to the US in DKR.

NewBAexec
    Participant

Can we please bring this thread back on track?

skyguymanchester

Maybe you should start a thread of your own if you want any clarification on people’s thought about your native country. This is a thread about the growing market of the West African countries, not the Middle East.

Thank you.

NewBAexec
    Participant

Senator

You are right. South African Airways flies to Washington-Dulles via Dakar using an A340.

NewBAexec
    Participant

Senegal is focusing strongly on building its tourism industry and turning Dakar into the main hub of West Africa with even greater business opportunities for the New World.

As part of the government’s drive to diversify the economy and take advantage of Senegal’s rich heritage, and natural and cultural assets, ministers are exploring ways of developing the fledgling tourism industry.
    Senegal has several UNESCO World Heritage sites, including Gore Island in Dakar Harbor that was used as the point for the millions of slaves shipped to the New World.

Dakar today is a vibrant and safe city that has something for people of all ages. The city is especially popular with art lovers thanks to its many galleries, artists’ studios, outdoor art events and activities, museums, and festivals.

The welcoming city is also a shopping paradise and exquisite crafts produced by craftsman skilled in traditional ways are sold in markets, on the streets, and in stores.

The Port of Dakar is one of Africa’s busiest ports for cruise liners, with visitors to the bustling city of 2.8 million people offered duty-free shopping and excursions to many local places of interest. Luxury hotels, golf resorts and beachside accommodations provide an ideal base for leisure activities, such as horseback riding, swimming, and aquatic sports.

With many tropical rainforests inhabited by rare flora and fauna, Senegal is eager to cash in on its natural beauty and expand the selection of eco-tourism packages available to foreign visitors.
    One of its most popular eco-tourism destinations is the small archipelago called Saloum Delta Islands. Situated near the border with The Gambia, the tranquil coastal and marine park is a natural paradise teeming with bird and marine life.

“We have at least two competitive advantages in fishing and tourism, which offer huge potential to foreign investors,” said President Wade. “Many Chinese enterprises are already active in Senegal’s economy, and well placed to take advantage of the opportunities created by an under-developed tourism sector.”

Not to forget the Dakar rally!

Senator
    Participant

I enjoyed my two week-long business trips to Dakar tremendously. I was in central parts of town including a leisurely trip to Gore Island. Nice people, great food, and nice sun 🙂

Bucksnet
    Participant

No worries skyguy.

I thought I read sometime back that EK served 8 cities, but if it’s only 4 now then maybe some were moved to flydubai or dropped altogether.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls