British Airways to Bangkok

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

• DNAdams
    Participant

Forgive me if this has already been discussed on this forum. I am booked on BA009 Club World LHR to BKK rtn.
    I am very curious as to know why BA use a 3 class 777-200 on this route and not a 4 class 777 or even A380 or 787. I don’t travel in BA J very often so I am also curious to know how old the hard product will be on the 777-200 and how it compares to the A380 and 787 ones which are perhaps newer?
    Anyone able to advise?
    Thanks

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

It was always a 747-400 and was downgraded to the worst equipment type they possess. The old 3 cabin is the same as the ones ex LGW.
    Been on the BA009 many times, but now I wouldn’t use them to BKK out of choice.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

BKK used to be BA’s stopping point when flying Down Under. That’s why it used a four class B747-400. After QF linked with EK (and QF axed its LHR-SIN service) BA changed its Oz stopover to SIN and made BKK a separate route.

Almost all European airlines consider BKK as a low-yield, leisure route.

However much to everyone’s surprise LH has decided to roster its A380 for the FRA-BKK route this winter. As far as I know LH is the first European carrier to roster its prestigious aircraft for this route.

So if you want A380 comfort and quality why not choose LH ?

DNAdams
    Participant

Many thanks for the info. I did get a very good J fare (£1200) ex-AMS with BA to BKK. However, at the time I did not consider the equipment would be so inferior. Do you know if they have any plans to upgrade it?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Am not aware myself. But BKK would be an ideal route for the 3-class B787 (if and when the route is upgraded). Maybe other readers who have used BA’s B777 BKK service will be able to comment on the product.

esselle
    Participant

Have you looked at fares on TG?

Gold-2K
    Participant

I flew it a few weeks ago and I think I returned to LHR on what was probably the oldest 777 flying today. I was in seat 11K so last row of CW. This is also right at the point where the front edge of the wing attaches to the fuselage. My seat vibrated for 12 hours. It was even worse when lying flat with my head on a pillow. Just awful, felt like the engine was about to drop off! With the cabin completely full, there was no option to move seat. I have never been so pleased to get off a flight!

And being an old plane, also had old IFE, it was AVOD but small low resolution screen. On board service was OK but a little slow, but I did notice that the person opposite me could not get their first choice of meal on either of the 2 meal services. Hazard of being in the last row I guess but how difficult would it be to start the service at the front for meal 1 and at the back for the second meal? Even American Airlines manage that!

Also worth mentioning, BA use CX lounge in BKK. Don’t get excited, it is BADLY in need of a refurb and was very busy ie the only seats available were bar stools.

If flying BA, I would be tempted to fly the A380 via SIN, or maybe just go Thai.

thebigseats
    Participant

I would check the cancellation fees, & re-book on QR out of Europe (OSL, ARN, HEL etc etc)…BA service to BKK is knackered, just like the product they deploy!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=803852]
    On board service was OK but a little slow, but I did notice that the person opposite me could not get their first choice of meal on either of the 2 meal services. Hazard of being in the last row I guess but how difficult would it be to start the service at the front for meal 1 and at the back for the second meal? Even American Airlines manage that!
    [/quote]

Meals are prioritised (or should be) by BAEC status, so sitting in row 1 is no guarantee of a first choice. Did the crew come and take orders first, then inform that pax later that s/he could not have their first choice?

Having said that, it seems unfortunate that the crew could not provide a first choice for one of the services.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

As others have noted above there is a huge selection of airlines plying the many routes between Europe and BKK.

Not to be overlooked is Taiwan’s EVA Air which operates via BKK (out of LHR) to TPE.

There is of course also Thai Airways which has those last-minute upgrade offers.

http://www.thaiairways.com/en_GB/plan_my_trip/Special_fare/Offers_Booking/THAI_Standby_Upgrades.page

MartynSinclair
    Participant

As a regular to BKK I go via HKG on the 380.I wont even take the 777 to HKG if there is a choice of the 380. I find the 777 in J cramped..

Gold-2K
    Participant

Meals are prioritised (or should be) by BAEC status, so sitting in row 1 is no guarantee of a first choice. Did the crew come and take orders first, then inform that pax later that s/he could not have their first choice?

Having said that, it seems unfortunate that the crew could not provide a first choice for one of the services.

They were not prioritised. I am GGL and Concorde Room Card holder but was not asked first. Being in row 11 I was actually last just I was lucky that I chose the less popular dishes. Not sure of the FF status of the person across the aisle.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=803887]

They were not prioritised. I am GGL and Concorde Room Card holder but was not asked first. Being in row 11 I was actually last just I was lucky that I chose the less popular dishes. Not sure of the FF status of the person across the aisle.

[/quote]

That’s not the way it works. They should ask everyone row by row from the front, then work out who gets their first choice in the galley, informing people if their choice has run out when they deliver the meals.

Are you saying that the crew did not ask before handing out the meals?

DerekVH
    Participant

[quote quote=803862]If flying BA, I would be tempted to fly the A380 via SIN, or maybe just go Thai.[/quote]

This is one area where I have voted with my feet and moved to Thai who I believe are the only airline who fly direct LHR-BKK with a first class. When booked in advance their F fares are reasonable when compared to BA. I have friends who routinely use EVA for LHR-BKK and they highly recommend this as a Business product, mainly because of the direct aisle access. It may be an age thing but I cannot hack BA on a long flight in the current CW configuration!

ASEANTraveller
    Participant

I have taken this flight several times and echo all the comments above (in particular with regards to the VERY tired equipment used on the route). Try to get a seat in row 3 or 4 in the forward CW section as these should be quieter than the rear CW section. Also, make sure to get the immigration fast track cards before landing (BA should be handing these out) as the immigration lines are often dreadful, in particular at the time in the morning when the flight lands.

One way of looking at this is you are paying near PE prices, so if you set your expectations accordingly you might not end up being that disappointed. 🙂

Was surprised to read about the CX lounge comment – sounds like Gold-2K was a little unlucky. This lounge was refurbished in the last 2 years or so, and I would actually rate it as the best business lounge in BKK airport. They serve nice freshly cooked Pad Thai and wonton soup plus other western and Asian options – given the quality (and availability) of the onboard meals, would recommend filling up there before your flight. Safe travels!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls