BA to announce LHR-IKA today

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

Are alcohol free flights such a problem?

I’ll be doing 7h45 on Friday, booze free – no problem.

rferguson
    Participant

Wouldn’t be a problem at all for me. I guess for some it would.

Cannot think of too many in one of the alliances though – Egyptair. Think that’s about it?

Edited to add Saudi of course duh

FDOS_UK
    Participant

iI think you are right.

Kuwait, PIA and Royal Brunei also (though not alliance members.)

Whether Egyptair is really ‘dry’ is a moot point, as you can drink your own duty free – wouldn’t like to do that on Kuwait or Saudia.

rferguson
    Participant

I know Saudi despite it’s lack of booze does offer some fantastic fresh juices in the premium cabins. I had a fresh carrot and orange juice a few years ago and also on offer was a lemon and mint concoction which was delicious.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Saudi are quite good on the flagship routes, IMHO.

I’ve done a bit of work for them, in the past, nice peeps.

christopheL
    Participant

What does H means in IMHO ?

seanyjmuclhr
    Participant

Humble.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Might be just worth remembering that the US Visa Waiver Programme changed recently and anyone who has visited Iran (as well as other countries) in the last 5 years will need to apply for a visa and will be barred from using the ESTA system.

For many travellers wishing to visit the US, it may be a strong disincentive to visit Iran.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I wonder how many non Iranians will fly with Iran Air….

CXDiamond
    Participant

I would certainly like to try Iran Air. I can take or leave alcohol on a flight and often the alternatives offered on the dry airlines are far nicer than the cheap plonk you find in some premium cabins. Monopole Blue in a screw top anyone? That really has to be the pits. I’d rather a mint tea on Turkish any day.

(Oh dear, I’ve probably just upset AnthonyDunn again.)

canucklad
    Participant

Attention BA’s ” Mad Men” department……….

You have an opportunity to cheer up a certain American entrepreneur, down on his luck at the moment…….I’m sure he’ll pop over the pond to help you promote your new service……

A bit of Yankee Doodle razz ma tazz will surely launch these flights with the panache of the finest bottle of champagne’s cork being popped !

Remember- there’s no such thing as bad publicity !

dutchyankee
    Participant

To add my American centric two cents worth, I think it will be a very long time before the US will open up traffic rights to Iran Air again. Lifting of sanctions is one thing, normalisation of relations including air routes is another. And depending on the outcome of the current race for White House, a lot can change vis a vis the agreement as well. The President of Iran stated during his European ‘charm’ offensive that they were interested in buying both Airbus and Boeing equipment, which again, while the Europeans, particularly the French, will sell anything to anyone, the US government will most likely block any sale of such high tech technology to Iran for many years to come.

I would imagine, those looking for a direct service from LHR to IKA, given the option between IR or BA, I think BA would win hands down, particularly with western clients. This could change of course as prior to the revolution Iran Air had a good reputation, which is now not the case, and I do not think simply by operating an A380 that reputation will change for the foreseeable future.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

With regard to US pax and Iran, don’t forget that AUH now has pre-clearance. That could be a big incentive – why change at Heathrow (or Frankfurt etc) when you can take an hour hop to AUH, pre-clear then relax on the longer leg, happy in the knowledge you will arrive as a domestic.

Event without pre-clearance, DXB and DOH may look attractive to potential Iranian pax.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Pre Clearance in AUH and superb service on Etihad would sway me for sure!

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Actually FDOS, for many travellers the changes in the US visa waiver program are a strong disincentive to visit the USA.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls