BA tier membership year and progression

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

sikey12
    Participant

Hi all,

I find myself in quite a unique situation I suspect and wondered if anyone has any idea how the following will play out:

I’m 40 points from Silver with BA. I have the necessary UK domestic flight booked with the final leg returning on 7th December. My membership year ends on the 8th December.

I’ve noticed that tier points from flights usually take at least 2 days to appear in my Executive club account. So the question is, is there a possibility I will fail to get Silver because the final flight’s tier points are not allocated until, say, the 9th December and my total tier points will have reset on the 8th December?

Thanks!

You’ll get Silver, don’t worry. Congrats and enjoy!

sikey12
    Participant

Great! Thanks for the reassurance!

first_class_please
    Participant

Sikey, should it reset, a quick call to the Exec Club and they will amend you to Silver straight away.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Interesting that with BA tier points are reset at the anniversary of obtaining the status, whereas Miles and More / *A reset at the end of the calendar year though status is still maintained until the end of the February following.

Further you have to qualify, whether for Silver or Gold in one of the two years following qualification. My re-qualification this year will now carry me through to end 2014 and by extension to Feb 2015.

If you qualified now, Nov 2011 your status would remain valid through to end 2013 and expire end February 2014.

I believe the reason for the extra two months is to give you the chance to re-qualify by making a few trips in the first two months following the expiry.

I guess now is the time when many people will be planning trips carefully to ensure re-qualification if they should be a few miles short of the required amount.

Cwyfan
    Participant

My wife and I, who both currently are silver status, have our last flights in this membership year returning end of December, which will leave us both on 590, 10 short of renewing our silver status, with no flights before our early February year end.

What does anybody advise to secure retention, if our next flight is not till later in February?

Incidentally, if the new scheme had been running all year, we would both have made it this year anyway.

LeTigre
    Participant

How about a weekend break in Paris using Euro Traveller? Flights are only £100 each and you could do a bit of shopping etc.

Forget CE, for the tier points its better to bear Euro Traveller.

Other options:
    -skiing/snowboarding
    -any city break
    -The UAE/Oman are both quite nice in December, and there are some pretty cool places in Muscat

VintageKrug
    Participant

Why not pop up to Edinburgh and visit Britannia.

http://www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk/

Danwolf
    Participant

I think I’m about as lucky as they get with regards to the BAEC/Avios change. I achieved Silver one week after the changes occurred (was in between a roundtrip as well), which meant my tier points didn’t reset (annual renewal date is in August). With the ‘too cheap to say no’ sale on CW flights over xmas, I will be 10 tier points short of Gold (Vienna for a weekend in January it is).

The contrast is, my friend’s year runs to the beginning of Jan, so he’s just going to achieve silver, but then reset to 0.

I guess BA had to place a marker in the sand somewhere regarding the changes. Some people were luckier than others…

pomerol
    Participant

Danwolf

It would appear that the changes have worked well for you.

In my case I dont think I have been so lucky, my year ended on the 8th. Dec. I am a silver card holder and reached my required 400 tier Points ( I reside in France) by the beginning of november, my Tier Points were not reset? they were then reset on Dec.8th. standing at 610, I feel I have just been done out of 210 Tier Points.

They have also I believe, bought European Executive club membership into line with Uk resident membership requirements, I now feel I have suffered a double whammy.

I never thought that I would find myself saying, I now feel I have no incentive whatsoever to fly BA.

Cwyfan
    Participant

I do feel that the reset system at the end of the year would be fairer to all if it left any unused points, ie those above the requirement of your achieved status, to carry over into the next year’ requalification.

Two passengers travelling the same trips, but just on different dates over a two or three year period can end up being treated significantly differently, even though the BA revenue was the same…hardly fair!

first_class_please
    Participant

You can never please all kmcottrell

I recall i had an Emirates First class trip to Australia over christmas a few years back.

The one way out gave me immediate silver, then at year end i was reset to zero and the return trip a week later gave me instant re-qualification to silver.

If they operated on a rolling year / fixed date renewal like BA i would have made gold.

Only way to please everyone is do like Gulf Air do and operate a rolling 52 week period. This makes it a nightmare though working out how many points you need to earn to keep / move up a status as you have to calculate how many you will also loose each week.

Cwyfan
    Participant

f_c_p

Not so, my simple change would produce nothing but an improvement to the system.

Nobody would lose, and loyal, but irregular, customers would occassionaly gain

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls