BA Strike status….what happens next?

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

MartynSinclair
    Participant

So, the 2 series of strikes have come and gone. Both sides claim victory but what is the position now. Are travellers safe to book with BA or are their likely to be more strikes?

continentalclub
    Participant

I’m afraid that no-one, possibly least of all posters to this forum, can really know what is likely to happen as far as further industrial action is concerned.

On the one hand, the Unite union does currently have a continuing mandate for industrial action. They must, however, give at least seven days’ notice of any such action.

On the other hand, British Airways has, by any objective measure, operated a programme throughout the action that is unprecedented in the aviation industry. London City Airport was completely unaffected during both strikes; London Gatwick operated at 97% during the first and 100% during the second and more than 60% of London Heathrow passengers flew during both episodes.

Meanwhile, Lufthansa, Air France and TAP have been subject to strike ballots, Cathay Pacific and Qantas are also dealing with industrial relations issues. Even non-unionised Middle Eastern carriers have suffered recently, as their third-party down-route handling agents have suffered from walk-outs.

No-one is immune, it seems.

So, is it safe to book with BA? Yes, of course it’s safe – they are one of the safest airlines airlines in existence.

Is it advisable to book with BA? Well, that’s a very personal question. You need to look at the route you’re flying and see whether they’re the only option, or whether other carriers serve that destination conveniently. You need to look at the fares that the alternatives are charging, the timings and the connections.

If BA is more direct, and better value; if they fly from London Gatwick or London City; if they fly longhaul 777 from London Heathrow and/or if you are a member of the Executive Club seeking to earn miles and tier points, then you may take the view that you’d be well-advised to book with them.

That way, you’ll get the good fare, you’ll get a very significant likelihood that you’ll be unaffected, and you’ll get your miles and tier points.

If, however, you do find yourself strike-hit, then you’ll probably (based on the stats above) be completely unaffected. If you are affected, then you might find yourself re-booked on that more-expensive carrier at no extra cost, and you’ll probably (again based on what’s happened in the first strikes) earn your miles and TPs on your affected flights, as well as more if you’re rebooked on to other BA services – or miles in the scheme operated by the airline that you’re re-booked on to.

Alternatively, you could book with an alternative carrier now, potentially pay more and then find that carrier hit by industrial action with no means of knowing what level of service that carrier might be able to operate on the day.

To paraphrase one D. Rumsfeld : it’s a case of known unknowns versus unknown unknowns…..

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

I think the union has stated publicly that there won’t be any more strikes days until after 14th April 2010.

Potakas
    Participant

About the miles and the tier points i have to say that i had 2 connection flights one domestic uk and then a longhaul to Europe , the first was cancel so i had to cancel and the second, still i haven’t receive my miles or tier points.

continentalclub
    Participant

Potakas: BA have undertaken to post the compensatory miles and points within 28 days of your original departure date. The specific quote from British Airways is as follows:

Your BA Miles and Tier Points will be awarded within 28 days of the planned departure of your flight. If they have not appeared automatically at the end of this period please do not hesitate to contact your local service centre where our staff will be happy to help get these added for you.

Other FAQs can be found here:

http://bit.ly/dDeXNh

Potakas
    Participant

Thanks continental i saw that minutes after replying in your post :s

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Very sound advice, continentalclub. Thank you.

I’ve have BAs EDI-LHR and LHR-HEL-LHR over the next 4 weeks or so. I shall just keep my fingers crossed.

Given the volatility of the labour relations situation across much of Europe at the moment, I wonder how many airlines which’ve tried to capitalise on the BA strike to their own ends may have also end up with egg on their faces?

It should be an “interesting” month or so ahead. “Interesting” in the terms of the old Chinese curse: “May you live interesting times” !!

Thanks again, Simon

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls