BA Safety Video – love it or hate it? I hate it!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• BugAdvisor
    Participant

Please note that I’m not trying to boast about how many times I fly when I complain about the BA safety video – it wasn’t even funny the first time!

The triumph of the video is that it proves that, with poor script-writing and a supremely annoying lead character, even a video with great actors can be unwatchable.

I believe that everyone should watch the safety demonstration no matter what form it takes; headphones off, conversations halted, eyes front etc. But I’m finding it really difficult to follow my own rules.

I’m so happy when I see the crew preparing for a manual demonstration.

I’d like to ask if the crew are allowed to choose between manual demonstration or ‘worst safety video ever’. There is an appeal for donations to the BA Flying Start charity at the end of the video. I wonder if £20 in a Flying Start envelope would be enough to convince the crew to go manual. If so I’d gladly pay it.

4 users thanked author for this post.

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

I actually dont mind the video, it just seems a bit too long, but I find it different, funny, and better than many others i’ve seen. But I agree with you that I fully believe saftey demo/video should always be given the respect it deserves and I always pay attention.

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

I find it nauseating, patronising, and childish, and I imagine it must be almost incomprehensible and baffling to non Anglo-Saxon people.

It is not even funny to a native English speaker, and I would have thought that one of the world’s major international airlines would have realised that ‘humour’ does not translate.

Apparently it cost BA next to nothing so once again standards are sacrificed to save money. Where safety is concerned this is utterly despicable.

6 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

Agree it is vaguely embarrassing.

Contrast it with the current SQ (stylishly done) or recent QR footy themed (cleverly done).

BA seem to think it’s funny, but l know a lot of folk who groan when it comes on.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

6 mins 20 seconds is beyond most peoples attention span.

Where the aircraft is without video screen the manual demo by cabin crew comes across as 100% more professional and more importantly, MEANINGFUL.

8 users thanked author for this post.

Cheeryguy
    Participant

So I guess you’re recycling BA gripes now. Surely you all moaned about this months ago.

openfly
    Participant

@Cheeryguy….yes we moaned about this horror months ago and we are still groaning each time this nauseating rubbish is shown. It is also unethical in its message.
    It is free for BA. It’s paid for by Flying Start (part of the Relief group) to beg for money for the salaries of the Relief company. The deserving kids don’t get a penny until at least £18m, to run Relief, has been collected by the cabin crew.

That’s what I don’t like…..

5 users thanked author for this post.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

It is vile, cheap, vulgar, inexplicable to non-native English speakers (and pretty inexpicable to the natives too), too long and should be scrapped.

7 users thanked author for this post.

nevereconomy
    Participant

I have a life, so am only concerned that there is a safety video and appreciate any attempt to make the non-watchers take notice, so that in the event of an emergency they are not pestering me (always a watcher even after many moons of travel) how to use the mask or put their life jacket on…..

capetonianm
    Participant

In my view this ‘attempt to make the non-watchers take notice’ is a failure. On my last BA flight the two people behind us were Spanish and managed to keep quiet for about the first 30 seconds, realised it was incomprehensible to them, and carried on talking and laughing loudly until I asked them (in Spanish) to be quiet in case other people wanted to listen.

They might well have talked through the briefing even if it had been more appropriate and comprehensible to them, but the way it’s done almost eliminates the possibility of 6 minutes’ attention.

Afterwards I explained to them that it was meant to be funny, and they just shrugged in bewilderment.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

Can someone please advise me how my earlier comment could be reported for ‘inappropriate content?’

capetonianm
    Participant

Almost certainly in error as the ‘report’ button sits awkwardly between ‘reply’ and ‘quote’ and it is easy to click the wrong one. This has been raised before as a concern.
    I have asked the BT Forum moderators to request that it should not be possible to ‘report’ a posting without the reporter’s name and a reason for the report..

EU_Flyer
    Participant

I probably haven’t watched it as much as others, but the humour has worn thin for me and the comic relief plea – while very worthy indeed – could be done at another point during the flight.

BA have done the cartoons and now they’ve done ‘humour’. Like others before them (eg Air New Zealand), why doesn’t BA now do a video that highlights the beauty of Britain – the history, the culture, the diversity. A ‘feel good’ video that inspires passengers at the start of the flight rather than inducing cynical responses such as those in this forum and elsewhere. By making it visually beautiful, surely it will also get the attention of more people?

openfly
    Participant

@EU-Flyer….As BA pays nothing for the awful video they have little input. It’s all paid for by the Relief charity that does all the begging for its business first and, the poor kids second!

capetonianm
    Participant

As BA pays nothing for the awful video they have little input.

That is just another indication that BA has sold its soul, if it ever had one, to the devil.
    It should have full control over all safety related aspects of its operations.

easyJet manage to do a manual safety demonstration, backed up with a recording in the local language on international flights. It is not unusual for them to pause to ask people to pay attention if they are talking loudly during the demo.

They collect money for UNICEF (Thanks to the incredible support of our customers and employees, the easyJet and UNICEF Change for Good partnership has already raised over £13 million) on every flight and this is also manually announced, usually about half way through the flight. Some of the cabin crew sound as if they are reading a script, which they are, and some of them inject life and personality into it. These are just two of many reasons why I will invariably choose EZY over BA.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls