BA pricing gone mad

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

DerekVH
    Participant

Booked an Avios reward flight LHR/AMS in Jan in C for £50 + Avios – great deal. Have a friend who needs 20 travel points to move to BA silver so we thought this was a good trip to do this. BA want £393.81 return to earn the 20 points or £132.81 to earn 10 points – how does that work? It was actually cheaper to book CE (£295.81) than it was for Euro Traveller fare earning full tier points – madness. Travel out 22/1 and back 24/1.

wastedlife
    Participant

It happens quite often that CE is cheaper than Euro Traveller – I’ve had it on several flights to Germany and Norway in the last 18 months. Ultimately, it’s all about supply and demand, and if the cheap ET inventory is already sold, then you end up with the expensive inventory with fewer restrictions. On the other hand, there probably isn’t that big a market of corporates willing to pay CE for a simple LHR-AMS return, so you end up with cheap CE inventory still left – but it’s the cheap, non-flexible non refundable stuff.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The system may well be slow in adjusting itself.

It’s a similar scenario with some of our TOCs, especially Virgin, VTEC and EMT where standard class, when booking Advance fares, can be priced at the same or a little more than first class …until the res system readjusts.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ DerekVH – 26/11/2015 14:56 GMT

Actually, this happens all the time and I routinely use this to upgrade my travel class whilst downsizing what I pay. This might not be shareholder value enhancing but it suits me and, besides, I’m not responsible for the pricing schema…!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls