BA – Possible the worst business class ‘give aways’ on the curcuit??

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Anonymous

Cantona07
    Participant

Hello fellow travellers! – having travelled on over 130 business flights in the past year would anyone else have a view on the horrible little amenities pack that BA currently hand to fellow business class passengers, it has to be by way the worst on the whole circuit!

On a recent flight back from Shanghai, it was noticeable that the crew seemed ready to be advised by passengers ‘no thanks’ I for one have stopped taking these as apart from the eye masks (how many do you need) there is very little within the pack that is of any use, they are such small packs that simply don’t seem worth the hassle.

Take a look at the packs handed out on any middle eastern airlines or even the new Qantas pack and our favourite national carrier surely has some major ground to make up here, yes its not everything but when paying £4-5,000 for the flights you may expect just a little more!

TiredOldHack
    Participant

I save the earplugs to use when I’m riding my motorcycle(s)! Daughters get the little tubes of cream etc. Everything else gets binned.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I find the little bags eminently re-usable for storage of bric-a-brac.

The Club World Elemis BAg is not especially “luxurious” but it serves its purpose, bearing in mind that BA’s longhaul flights are often half the duration of many competitors’ longhaul flights.

The Elemis BAgs contain:

– Earplugs
    – Eyeshades
    – Socks
    – Elemis Marine Moisturiser
    – Elemis Lip Balm
    – Toothbrush and toothpaste (usually Colgate)
    – Elemis Facial Wipe
    – Some weird gel stuff for the eyes

http://www.noodler.co.uk/Vegas/cwamenity.jpg

I always wear my Bose headphones, so have little use of the [earplugs], though they’re handy for shooting, and always bring my own socks and eyeshade. The moisturiser/lip balm is handy when in warmer climes, and I bring my own toothbrush and toothpaste.

It would be nice to have a pack of mints, a pen, some mini deodorant but really I cannot recall not having these things with me as standard component of my hand luggage, and as many of us (myself included) tend to prefer our own kit rather than that provided by the airline, the potential for waste is huge.

Razors/shave cream are available on request for the chaps, and if you have a spa treatment pre-flight at LHR and NYC there is a trio of Elemis samplers which you also can take with you.

I’m very happy with what’s provided in J, especially when set against the usually excellent pre-flight shower facilities in many locations and the Arrivals facilities at LHR/LGW and LCY, which many other airlines do not provide.

These Elemis packs fetch a few pounds on eBay, and people do buy them, so they’re not entirely perceived to be without value.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Oh yeah, I forgot the toothpaste. That’s useful. I remember having the little tube of toothpaste seized at Gatwick once, because “you’re not allowed to take it on board”. Unbelievable.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Seems you get more in the Club World amenity kit than Qantas give away:

http://www.qantas.com.au/img/150×150/fly/travel-classes/international-business-amenity-kit-female.jpg

So not really sure this thread title is accurate. What do the Middle East carriers give away in Business?

jetlagged
    Participant

I’m intrigued that Mr VK uses “eyeplugs” whilst shooting – is this not just a recipe for a series of nasty accidents involving one’s beater?

VintageKrug
    Participant

oops 😉

In my defence, some of the beaters are particularly unattractive!

And I never specified my gender 😉

TiredOldHack
    Participant

We’re not talking Quidditch here, are we? 😉

NTarrant
    Participant

The BA offering in CW is not what it was, certainly the Dr Harris in F is much better.

The best kit I had about a year ago was from First Scotrail on the overnight sleeper in 1st. razor and cream, shoe shine, good size toothbrush and paste (Colgate also) socks, eye pads, soap, cotton buds and cotton wool and deodorant.

Sealed kits do fetch a few quid on eBay.

I’ll have a brace of phesant VK if you are taking orders for the season.

Tim2soza
    Participant

15 days till the glorious 12th. Grouse please.

travelworld
    Participant

Whilst I’m not a huge fan of Emirates, the business class giveaway takes some beating- or at least it did last year when I last flew with them. Top quality bag around twice the size of BA’s, large toothpaste, quality toothbrush, comb and razor and large Bulgari toiletries. Best I’ve come across, pretty much ever.

Might be a useful BT article- how the airlines compare.

Cantona07
    Participant

VK – without wanting to start a BA vs email punch up I would challenge the fact that the routes I fly, Heathrow – Dallas FW (10hrs), Heathrow – Shanghai (11hrs) and Heathrow – Tokyo (11hrs) all would rate as long or if not longer than others.

Regarding the new Qantas pack (your photo is the old one) its by Florence Broadhurst (who I hear you ask!) never the less its of very good quality, consisting of the following
    Eye Mask
    Ear Plugs
    Toothbrush
    Toothpaste
    Mouthwash
    Tube of mints (toothpaste style)
    Eye Gel
    Hand Cream
    Day Cream
    Lip Balm

The middle eastern carriers are all pretty much the same but generally larger sized portions, in First on Emirates you get a brown leather wash bag, very stylish indeed!

travelworld
    Participant

and Qantas does PJs,in business too- at least on the A380.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s important to compare apples with apples, so best to keep this discussion to J amenity kits.

Though I would note that BA is using REN again in F, which is an improvement.

I took the pic of the QF kit from the current website, though it seems this is the most up to date description:

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/international-business-class/global/en

QF appears to have the same items as the BA kit apart from the addition of a tub of mints/mouthwash, though the provision of PJs in Business on the A380 is excellent.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls