BA – my request for a Silver card….

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Also remember that when in the US, the US airline lounges are still off limits to Oneworld emerald / gold status due to the “membership” nature of most airline lounges. This is of course when flying internal US sectors.

I agree that BA is exclusive, one card that cant be bought, long may that continue.

VintageKrug
    Participant

That’s right, Martyn, but BA Silver and Gold DO get lounge access even on those fares which don’t even allow mid-tier AA elite travellers access.

We even get a free drink chitty (sometimes even two!).

And access to the BA Lounge at places like San Francisco where you can wait for a Virgin America flight in a BA Terraces lounge is very valuable.

Senator
    Participant

First of all my sincere gratitude to MartynSinclair for his kind words.

I used to work for a US “BigCorp” with USD billions in travel spend. I believe we were top 3 for UA globally, but AA (and BA) was off the list for travel.

I do remember we had status match applications on our website. Once, we added CO to list of preferred carriers and any employee could apply for match to CO. The same applied to UA if you came onboard as new employee. However, it was always tied to employment.

Once, on a flight from EWR-ARN on CO I was chatted up by the CO Concierge. I was on “freebie” from Air France/KLM Flying Blue in CO BusinessFirst and he asked me how much I travelled. “A lot” I answered, and he queried if I had a OnePass membership which I did. He took my number, showed him my LH SEN card and voila! the next morning the OnePass system showed Gold level. Given the defection to Star being announced it had little value to me. However, it supports VK and MartynSinclair point of US carriers being a tad more flexible in giving away status level.

EdwardFerrell
    Participant

Flier74 – I’ve read your post 3 times and think you must not travel internaionally or often, or it’s been a long, long time since you were a basic/blue-level flier.

Who wants to have to wait until the last 24 hours to check in and only get a middle seat (in economy) with BA? Who wants to give up bonus miles on one airline to get reduced miles and, for BA, limited tier points while struggling to get into Silver. (My partner is BA silver; I am BA blue and the miles and tier differences between us is significant, even on the same flights.)

I’ve been a Premier Exec on UA for nearly 20 years and a 1K for a number of those. Plus I’m a million-miler now. I tried to get Virgin to match UA as my most frequent route is LHR-IAD. And I think the Virgin experience is better than UA. They took the same approach you did: earn it.

But, while I would be “earning it,” no bonus miles. No chance of operational upgrades. Fifty percent fewer miles in the bank.

Like JohnLeeds, I would have switched and would have earned the higher grade the next year, but I was not about to move back to caravan status for a year or more. (And this doesn’t begin to get into how stingy and difficult BA status is in the best of times.)

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

I would agree with the sentiment of the majority of posts that elite status needs to be earned.

I would note though the BA do give out Silver and Gold cards to big corporate accounts therefore not everyone who has one has earned it!

NTarrant
    Participant

Just giving away higher tier status to people devalues the value of it to those that have earned it. I would ask Edward, would you be happy for me to get UA Premier Exec just becuase I said I am going to fly UA? I never have done and are unlikey to.

But I wonder how many people would say to BA or VS, I’m going to travel say LON-NYC on a regular basis, please give me a silver card or I will go elsewhere, if they handed them out on a “promise”. Anyone could say that and then only use it for a LON-PAR once a year and everyone travelling would have silver exec cards but never acheiving the correct numbers of points to maintain it.

BABenji
    Participant

I have been reading this post with interest over the last 24 hours or so.

Those who fly for business in premium cabins are awarded this privilage as part of their working conditions. I would assume that this privilage was earned in some way? Either through working their way up the ladder on a corporate level, or perhaps joining s super-duper graduate scheme as a result of years of hard academia. Either way, it didn’t simply land on our laps!

Of course there are always exceptions to the above and perhaps those demanding that they are awarded status with an almost “don’t you know who I am” kind of attitude are those who have simply been gifted such positions, and expect the same of everything else in life?

Whether it’s your first flat, your first car, that promotion, your own successful business or even BA Silver or Gold Exec Club status, it has to be earned.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Mr. Ferrell – interested by your comment “caravan status”. You would presumably still be flying business or first. albeit with a few less airmiles. What exactly is the issue.

I know I have previously contributed to this thread, but I am beginning to wonder exactly what this is about. A silver / gold card OK – gets you a few extra airmiles, access to the lounge and the odd operational upgrade, but life cant be all that bad if you are flying business or first anyway.

Can somneone please explain what the question is really abour………….

Bucksnet
    Participant

Yes, if you’re flying business or first then surely you’re getting lounge access anyway?

EdwardFerrell
    Participant

ah, several comments back :

I fly a combo of business and personal, and when I fly personal I do not spend the money for business class, not on long-hauls anyway.

One of the advantges of being a Premier Exec is the ability to choose seats during, not after, booking. And I know which seats on which airplanes give significant more space. Not so on BA Blue.

And, yes, I get lounge access because (a) I’m Premier Exec flying internationally or (b) I’m in business.

Those of who are keen to say I must certainly be flying C or F: well, not on personal trips LHR-IAD. (I’m refraining from adding: for that kind of money, are you daft?)

And some of you may have missed a point quietly made by another writer: the silver card isn’t just because someone asked. It’s a match to an existing status on a competitor.

In a previous corporate life, I had my UA Premier Exec but my 18 month assignment was better served by USAirways. So I confirmed to USAirways the status I had on UA; they granted me equal status on US; and I subsequently was able to maintain my USAirways status the following year through my custom and loyalty in response to their gesture of good will. For the proof, not just for the asking.

I certainly don’t see how granting a match is going to infringe on your existing status. We’re not talking hundreds of requests all granted and all using the same facility at the same time.

And, just to be fair, of sorts, the BA lounge in T3 is far superior to anything I’ve seen in a US airline, including UA First lounges so I do have a sense of why you would want to keep it more exclusive. But, again, a few and not a thousand matches.

Finally, for now, if I wanted to get cynical, for those who sound as if they would be offended if a status-matched person were to sit down next to them in a lounge that they would move away? Does that mean, if I were seated next to you in C or F and you found I had been upgraded, I would not have the pleasure of your full-fare company?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Oh!

…..and……….?

flier74
    Participant

Hi Edward,

Flier74 – I’ve read your post 3 times and think you must not travel internaionally or often, or it’s been a long, long time since you were a basic/blue-level flier.

Actually I do fly mainly internationally and at least once a week a return trip on an international sector, hence I am BA and also LH Silver Card holder and soon to be a BA Gold Card holder. Of course I did not enjoy having to choose my seat only 24hours in advance, mind you I always even then managed to get a window or aisle seat.

Yes I was looking forward to earn my SIlver Status with BA to get the added benefits, mainly Lounge Access, the free Seat selection proior to Online Check in and of course I don’t mind the bonus miles either.
    My point is, as it seems the point of many Airlines, earn it. I would never dream of going around Airlines show them my LH/BA Silver Card and expect them to match it. If they do offer it, like bmi did during this years Industrial Action in BA, yes I would of course take it but I would not ask to match it. 5 return sectors in BAs Club Europe get you a Silver Card, not really that hard to achieve is it?

Not quite sure what you were trying to tell me but I do think the BA Exec Club is a decent enough scheme and I certainly enjoy waiting in the Galleries for my flights. I don’t know much baout many other FF schemes, as I travel mainly within Europe but also have the odd Longhaul flight which I tend to use BA or Lufthansa if I can.

Potakas
    Participant

Hi all,

I was reading the topic and i cannot say anything more, except that FFPs are programs where you collect miles by flying and not with promises.

The only program where you actually have benefits from the beginning (actually day two, as you have to travel on at least one round-trip ticket to one of the Air France and/or KLM long-haul oil destinations or two round-trip tickets on an Air France and/or KLM short or medium-haul oil route.) is the Flying Blue Petroleum and you have to be employed by an oil, oil-related or gas company listed by Air France and KLM. I have just joined this FFP but still haven’t fly neither Air France or KLM since then, so i cannot give you more details.

Regards,

Potakas

P.S. Nice post Senator.

TravelwaveBerlin
    Participant

It was realy hard for me to collect enough statuspoints to reach the Silver level. I flu often – spend a lot of money. Why BA shall give you the silver Status for free? ???? GREATINGS FROM BERLIN

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sorry to be the fly in the ointment here, but a few years ago I was offered the BA Gold card on the basis of my Senator gold card, on the understanding I would move my business to BA. It came withe the warning, “to give it is easy, but you have to earn the miles to keep it”.

In the first year I did, travelling a few times zrh-lhr then to Cape Town. 2nd year though, and mindful of my Senator status and not really liking LHR (+ the fact I was flying north to fly south) I did not, so went down to silver.

Year 3 I hit rock bottom blue and to top it all after a few more years even lost all the miles I had acquired!!!

I’m sure there’s a moral to this story somewhere and I’m sure some. clever wag will point it out?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls