BA Miles – lack of availability

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

Travellator
    Participant

Special event next year.

NO availability in F LHR/SYD through February and March.

Thought there would be some given our dates are very flexible.

InterestedObserver
    Participant

If AA and Iberia allow burning of their miles on BA I think it is something we will have to get used to (tho. I’m thinking of Business Class more than first)

VintageKrug
    Participant

Sydney is one of the most popular routes, and February and March (being late Summer and Mardi Gras etc.) are some of the most popular dates both for Brits holidaying there to escape the winter here and Australians returning from their January break.

You really do need to book Australian awards within a month or so of the awards being made available.

Having said that, I booked F to SYD just three weeks ago for the period you mention, so there are seats out there.

As ever, make sure you check both Qantas and BA (you need to ask it to select more airlines); try selecting a stopover which can sometimes help, and search for single seats rather than couples (if you are prepared not to fly together), or try Qantas to MEL or even PER if you don’t mind a few days at leisure there before getting to SYD.

Even without much effort I can see a single ticket LHR-SIN on 6th, SIN-SYD on 7th Feb in F on BA, and a direct via SIN on 24th Feb. Haven’t checked Qantas or the other alternatives I suggested, or looked for two seats.

You could also try starting in FRA on Qantas (and I think they might also fly from Paris now, too). And of course you can try mixing classes as well in case that helps availability.

All Gold card holders are guaranteed availability in economy, but frankly I’d rather snog a cat.

Travellator
    Participant

The special trip is for both of us !

I feel maybe my companion voucher is limiting the number of seats available, this can only be used on BA and not Qantas – I think.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Correct, if you are using your BA Amex 2for1 voucher you need to travel on BA metal, together on all flights and exUK only.

When using these vouchers, even more so than usual, you need to book within a week of the inventory being released.

Having said that, even over busy periods around Christmas and New Year I have seen inventory open up three days prior to travel, though obviously this is not good in your circumstance.

Indeed there is availability in Club World to SYD this Tuesday and Wednesday, so availability really isn’t impossible, even last minute.

You might be better off purchasing the ticket if you need to travel together on such a busy route.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls