BA Luggage Transfer Seperate PNR

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• jetsettraveluk
    Participant

I had two bookings both ticketed and operated by BA.
    KBP-LHR and LHR-JFK in Club.
    My layover was 3 hours and 50 min and figured it would be enough time as a British Citizen to clear customs and recheck bags.
    After doing plenty of research online everywhere I looked said checking in the bags all the way to JFK wouldn’t be allowed by BA.
    I was pleasantly surprised when checking in at KBP they informed me my bags will go all the way to JFK (I hadn’t even asked)
    How does this work? If BA policy is that it doesn’t do, when do they and when don’t they. From everywhere I had read everyone was saying they don’t anymore for a number of years.

Now I’m on my flight to JFK…. I just hope my bags make it too 🙂

SimonS1
    Participant

Contrary to what people may tell you it can be done, though BA’s policy is not to do it to encourage people to spend more money on a single ticket.

In practice many outstations are handled by outsourced staff who may be agents for several airlines, most likely they take the easiest option knowing there will be little comeback and where there is they will say they didn’t know/got confused between airlines etc.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[postquote quote=970425][/postquote]

In fairness to BA, this is a policy many airlines apply now. But what happened to the OP does indeed still occur. But for how long?

capetonianm
    Participant

A through ticket is not necessarily more expensive and often cheaper.
    The real point is that even where there are rules about through checkin of bags, they are often not known to, or not observed by, the check in agents, who as stated will often take the easiest or safest option. Technically, it is almost always possible.

Ahmad
    Participant

[postquote quote=971053]
    Fully agree with this. Even when PNRs are separate (not just the e-tickets) they can be combined by the central reservations department which is usually just an email or quick call away if the supervisor at check-in is minded to make the effort. I have often been obliged if I ask politely enough.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls