BA Long Haul cancellation experience

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Anonymous

SwissExPat
    Participant

I have seen lot of negative comments about BA in the last few months. I have been critical and praising of BA in the past. My most recent experience has been favourable.

In December 2014, I flew MUC-LHR , transferring to LGW to BDA. I availed of a decent Y+ fare structure for the trip. I am now only a sliver card holder having lost my Gold on 1st December.

At Munich I arrived early for my flight and asked to move to an earlier flight which was accommodated without hassle (I am sure I did not have a flexible ticket). I had access to the decent dedicated BA lounge.

I transferred to LGW and overnighted in the Hilton. I was able to meet a business colleague in London for dinner before going onto LGW.

My BA flight to BDA was not until 1430 so I was looking forward to visiting the GYM in the Hilton and doing some work in the room. When I woke, I checked my emails and had one from BA (which was sent just after midnight) saying my flight was cancelled and that I should check online for my rerouting. This I did and saw I was scheduled to depart for Miami ex LHR at 0945 to connect into BDA the following morning. I called the BAEC line and was told that I should go to check in in LGW since they had better options for re-routing. This i did.

The staff were friendly and helpful. The rerouted me via BOS later that afternoon and would provide a hotel room in BOS with a connection onto BDA the following morning. They suggested I take the NAT EXP bus to LHR but I protested based on prior experiences on this bus (overflowing toilet!). They agreed to provide a minicab (which was a nice Audi A6) I also made some noises about an upgrade to CLUB and they said they would do what they could.

Whilst in the Galleries lounge in T5, a staff member came up to me with a new boarding card (in Club !)

Flight to Boston, over-nighting in the HIlton at Logan and the Delta connection to BDA were all fine. I got to BDA 16 hours late but only missed 3 hours of business but had a bit of general hassle. I gave Hilton my Hhonors number and they upgraded me to a Exec level roomand even god a “stay” credit to help retain my Hilton status.

Since no other flights depating LGW that day were cancelled, I suspected that it was a technical problem with the plane.

A contact of mine in BDA told me she had had a similar experience with the BA cancellation to BDA. She told me that I had a claim for €600 under EU Law since I was delayed by more than 4 hours.

I filled in an online claim form on the BA website and had an email today from BA asking for my Bank details and the claim would be paid.

So, all told, I have to say that I was pleased with the above. I was inconvenienced but BA did look after me.

When I was boarding my return from BDA to LGW a week later, the flight was full in Y and Y+and when I presented my boarding card at the gate, I heard the “ping” and was told it was my lucky day, upgraded to a half empty Club cabin.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls