BA: LHR to SIN to SYD

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

• Anonymous

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

Heading to Sydney with BA shortly. Although I’ve been to both Sydney many times, I’ve never gone all the way without stopping for a few days in either HK, Sing or Bangkok. A few questions for those that have.

What happens when we land in Singapore? Do we have to disembark? Is it optional? How long is the stop? Is there time to go to the lounge and get a shower (although I am not sure the F lounge has such a facility).

Thanks.

David
    Participant

I flew this route on Monday and yes, you will need to disembark the flight (taking all of your carry-on with you), returning to the same airplane after about an hour. There is a First and Business Class lounge available (I was travelling Club World but had access to the First lounge using my Gold card) and there is ample time to take a shower (which I did as well).

Enjoy Oz – the weather is much better than Europe now!

VintageKrug
    Participant

I would be ready for a swift disembarkation.

Don’t dilly-dally; BA/Qantas have a joint lounge (which you’ll no doubt have used before) and it’s up the escalators; can be a little tricky to find so ask someone who looks like they do this regularly!

Depending on your flight arrival time queues for showers can develop even in the F lounge (though I’ve never experienced any). There are plenty of showers in a sort of circular room.

Bring all your shower and toilette kit with you, and remember mini talc – it’s humid in SIN and can be difficult to properly dry off!

There’s normally enough time for a sit down and some ice cream, and then head back to the gate, where all your hand baggage will be scanned a agin, so no liquids larger than 100ml.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Don’t tell me SIN has the stupid 100ml rule as well.

JordanD
    Participant

Sadly, I believe as VK says, it does. Different story in BKK – you can leave your handbaggage on board and then it is just yourself that needs to exit the plane for rescreening. Take what you will need for the hour plus any valuables.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Hmm, that’s not been my experience at BKK. Ever.

I’ve always had to get off with all my hand baggage, and reboard with everyone.

At BKK, security happens on entering the main transit concourse, so at least you don’t have to worry about it when your rushing to board.

I prefer transiting at SIN; lounges are much bigger, showers better quality and the terminal’s properly air conditioned throughout.

NTarrant
    Participant

Presumably the same will apply at HKG with QF. Does anyone know if there are shower facilities at MEL. Travelling LHR-MEL-SYD so would like a shower at MEL if possible.

jungerns
    Participant

NEVER leave anything in transit in Bangkok on the motor-that is naive beyond comprehension.

David
    Participant

Re. the BKK question;

I transited too through BKK to Sydney about 3 weeks ago and can confirm that all passengers had to take their carry-on baggage off the plane as well….

JordanD
    Participant

Well, VK, I speak as someone who did that stop in BKK: just because it wasn’t your experience, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

And I dislike the suggestion that it is “naive beyond comprehension” to leave things onboard – I took my valuables, but if someone wanted my rucksack with magazines and book in it, on you go. Suffice to say, it was there when I got back. A little faith in humanity …

VintageKrug
    Participant

…could equal a little spell in the Bangkok Hilton.

Did you do the BKK stop aboard BA/Qantas?

travelworld
    Participant

Yes, I much prefer the transit at SIN. Last time I did so in BKK we had to go through security just to get to the QF/BA lounge and it took so long to do so it was almost time to reboard when I got there.

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

Thanks for the help. I shall look forward to my shower and a bowl of ice cream in the F lounge almost as much as I am looking forward to escaping this embattled, benighted continent for a few weeks.

Binman62
    Participant

The 100ml rule is rigorously enforced at SIN and even duty free will not be allowed so do not buy in LHR.
    If you do want some duty free at SIN that really must be your first stop as the limit on sales is 1 hour usually. You buy it and it is delivered to the aircraft door where you collect it when your board. It is like most things in SIN very civilised and very efficient.
    You will need to take everything with you when you transit and that is BA policy worldwide and has been for some time. Not sure what went on in BKK but leaving a bag on board in such circumstances is likely to result in you losing it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls