BA LGW move

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

• AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Looking at what I get, pound for pound (including lounge access) and it’s a complete no brainer for me ex-LGW. I am trying to remind myself of the EZY lounges at LGW and elsewhere. So, it’s not EZY. That’s the beauty of competition and choice.

Capetown2k
    Participant

hi openfly

regarding BA stopping first from gatwick have you herd this from someone ?

TIA

KarlMarx
    Participant

AnthonyDunn – 20/01/2015 15:55 GMT

Yes, competition and choice is good.

Flying on leisure, I’m not that bothered about a lounge, but if I was, then the No1 is far superior to the BA lounge and can be had for ~£20.

Also:

– Easy deals with hand luggage more effectively
    – Easy doesn’t run out of drinks (a not uncommon complaint on BA leisure routes) and has a higher quality food selection (yes, PAYG, but still works for me)
    – You can change easy non-flex fares for only £40 and the price difference
    – If you decide to come back early, you can change flights for free, if there is a seat available

Each to their own, but Easy beats BA hands down for what we need.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Granted about BA and the no checked-in baggage/carry-on bags farrago about which I am about to attempt a correspondence with the wooden-eared at the Waterside – at the strong prompting of the CSD on our outstandingly good return CE flight FCO-LGW recently. I have never seen BA CC make such a bee-line for a “likely pair” of BAEC members in all my years. Apparently, BA CC are comprehensively sick and tired of having to hump bags and sort out near fisticuffs between pax when some are very clearly taking the proverbial – we’ve all seen what some pranksters think is reasonable to bring on board.

Actually, for leisure flights, there really is no need for flex tickets. If respective employers need Snr Mgt and myself back earlier, then they can pay for the privilege of p*ss*ing us both off.

I’ve seen the No. 1 lounge at LGW and, IMHO, there is no comparison and Galleries is a clear winner. Each to their own.

ChrisJR
    Participant

The potential of BA abandoning the first cabin (and lounge) on it’s Caribbean and other leisure destination service is a real issue for me and I hope it doesn’t happen. Using my airlines / upgrades on this service is a real treat – but I guess there in lies to problem. I guess at least the front cabin on a 777 will feel a little more “exclusive”. I am sure a lot of well off honeymooners will not be happy though and would probably opt for Virgin Upper class.

greyhawkgeoff
    Participant

Chris – I think you have hit the ‘First’ problem ex LGW on the head. There are typically no more than 10 long haul flights a day out of LGW by BA, all on their 777’s. Only 3 or 4 at most have a first cabin, of 14 seats. A similar Club fitted cabin can have rather more seats. It seems that many of the First pax are upgrades, paid for or for operational reasons, when the lack of First on the other routes – Orlando, Tampa, Cancun etc gives a higher income because of the lack of involuntary upgrades or paid for by avios.
    It seems highly likely that the First routes will either be transferred to LHR or downed to a 3 class plane in time. Thus there is little reason to provide a First lounge at LGW given the small number of paid for First pax, as opposed to the DYKWIA brigade. A new Galleries lounge will be welcome if built to the latest spec elsewhere.
    And to raise a new subject that is related, the LGW 777-200’s are now getting a little long in the tooth, always the poor relation to LHR, but surely there is case for replacement/substitution with the much oversold fleet updates coming through – 787-900 this year and 350’s a couple of years forward?

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls