BA LGW cancellations/bad delays

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

• DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

NTarrant

You say that HBHLondon criticises Vintage Krug unfairly.

Let’s de-personalise this and just say that any contributor on a forum who very strongly advocates a particular company and robustly defends it does leave themselves open to comment from a bias perspective.

I am a great supporter of Air Malta and recognise that I have a bias in that direction, so would not take offence if people criticised me for that.

VintageKrug
    Participant

And now more insinuations about me, as ever.

I am not nor ever have been connected in any with BA or the travel industry more generally, except as a shareholder, Gold Card holder (as well as top tier in Star and Skyteam) and frequent traveller.

Criticism is valid and encouraged when borne out by facts, and this thread is simply cobblers as BA is being criticised for tardiness, while at the same time winning the prize for the most on time performer of all airlines at Gatwick.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Vintage Krug

By your advocacy (which you are perfectly entitled to undertake, for your own reasons) you ‘de facto’ connect your comments to British Airways, in my opinion and probably of a few others, judging by comments on various threads.

NTarrant
    Participant

Disgusted

In the normal run of things this forum is polite, friendly and helpful. The likes of VK, particularly and a few other have provided help and advise which has saved many other forum users, my self included, many thousands of pounds.

Sadly there are a few posters who are inconsistant with their postings and forget what they say and attack people like VK for being pro a particular company. HBH for example has been “deleted” before. Recently he said that he was taken to his seat in First, but now says he never gets shown his seat. He also comments on the alleged troubles of BA at LGW, but then says he is not a regular traveller. As a regular traveller from LGW I am not aware of these “troubles”

I say this with respect to you Disgusted as a relative newcomer

BAdboys
    Participant

Quoting a companys’ stats, that a company has published about itself, should seldom be believed as reliable.
    I have spent many a fun hour constructing borderline stats within my company, just so that people like VK fall into the trap and believe them…and obviously it works!
    People are paid to do just that, to improve an image.
    All I know is that my personal experience is of delays and cancellations.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

NTarrrant

I appreciate your input.

SOLITAIREPLATINUM
    Participant

@ NTarrant
    I do support your views 100 %.

I may not have the time to get involved in all the discussions, but VK is/and has been a very knowledgeable source of information for me as well.

I really marvel at his expertise and the many sources and links that he always accurately includes.

I may not always agree on his views, but at least he sticks to his opinion and he does back up most of his postings with outside “evidence”- not just some hearsay.

For the benefit of all, I would suggest to be a bit more respectful of eachother’s opinion and views.
    Most of us travel extensively and we all have different experiences. Let’s share them with other frequent travelers in a civilized and respectful manner so we can all benefit.

Andrew

Daniel9
    Participant

Wow. There’s a lot of anger in the world today – and not actually directed in the right direction.
    Perhaps a few forum posters might want to calm down, have a cup of green tea, take a long look in the mirror and then perhaps get back to basics – which is providing a helpful, informed resource for swapping tips and good ideas.
    Or people could continue to direct far too much aggression in the direction of near-anonymous forum posters.

Note: I don’t work for BA or Business Traveller. I just travel a lot.

Dear HBH London,

If you would like to stop receiving notifications of posts on forum threads, then please visit your account (in the top right hand corner of the website), and click on “Change your public profile and account settings”, then untick the box “Notify me when a user replies to my posts on the forum”.

If you would like to fully delete your businesstraveller.com account, please email <a href="mailto:[email protected]“>[email protected] with the email address you use to sign in, and we’ll sort this for you.

VintageKrug
    Participant

BAdboys: in fact, BA’s leading on time performance stats in June to which I was referring were indeed independent and performed by Gatwick Airport NOT British Airways.

I cannot however find a link to this data.

What I can find is data for H1 2010 which places BA just a tad behind flybe, with BA 82% on time performance (the leader having 86%) and considering this period covered the modest initial strike cancellations (and snow in January/ash in April which affected all carriers), proves that BA is one of the leading on time performers at Gatwick amongst the high volume users of the airport:

http://www.flightontime.info/scheduled/airports/lgw10.html

Either way there is no evidence that BA suffers systemic delays at Gatwick.

For clarification, HBH London has removed all posts from this forum string, and requested for his account to be deleted.

BAdboys
    Participant

Thanks for all your input and the stats VK. I am most grateful.

Obviously I am totally deluded and did not suffer three cancellations, and delays of one hour plus, in August. I just imagined them. Your stats say so.

Off to the docs……….

continentalclub
    Participant

Certainly interesting personal experiences there, BAdboys, although the figures really do support the overall fact that British Airways’ on-time performance at Gatwick is currently in the top tier of all carriers operating to and from the airport.

The one thing that stands out from your most recent experience is that the common denominator is actually Manchester and not Gatwick. I’ve no idea if there are any issues in Lancashire, but I am aware that bmi has also been suffering lengthy delays in that part of the World.

Indeed, from an operational point of view, the upgrade of the West Coast Mainline has seen rail’s market share on the MAN-LON route rise from c30% to approaching c80%, which has had a devastating effect on loads, yields and, now, airline schedules.

Whether that’s relevant or not will always be open to speculation; I doubt that bmi or BA would publicly confirm or deny that their Manchester services are prioritised to a lesser extent than, say, their Edinburghs, Glasgows, Aberdeens or over-waters.

The point is that it may in fact be that competition (from rail) is the cause of the problem, not necessarily the solution.

Anyway, looking at today’s live status, British Airways Gatwick flights have all departed on-time, with a few scheduled delays noted for the later in the day: Bologna and Venice by about 40 minutes and, interestingly, the two later Manchesters by about 50 minutes.

Again, this would potentially suggest an issue down-route rather than at Gatwick. Other carriers are showing many more delays and cancellations btw.

wanula1
    Participant

Slightly of subject in terms of delays but at least at Gatwick you might be lucky enough to have a short haul flight on a 777.

BA have used the same 777 on a number of routes from Gatwick including a flight yesterday to Rome and on the 24th August they did a Manchester and Edinburgh rotation from Gatwick

TominScotland
    Participant

Just arrived Gatwick from GLA 30 mins late and international parked so bus in. Luggage took another 30 mins so not a great way to start the week. No BA explanation……

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls