BA Gold – AA Y-UP

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

LucaForna
    Participant

Hi guys, I need your help.
    I currently have 1110 Tier Points and I just booked a business class flight JFK-LHR (140 TP), total 1250 TP. I am currently in NY and will be here for a month. I need 250 TP to make it to gold. I read interesting articles about Y-UP fares with AA. What is the less expensive trip I could book to make it to gold? My membership year ends the 8th of Jan, would be sad to throw away all those TP..
    Thank you for your help

Senator
    Participant

Hi,

I can think of a couple of options:
    JFK/EWR/LGA-MCO/BOS/ORD/DCA-MIA-CUR can be had for around $800 return. It was $650 this summer when i did it. You would earn
    60 TP on each domestic segment
    40TP from MIA to CUR
    4 x 60 TP + 2 x 40 for a total of 320 TP

Another “classic” run is to fly NYC to LAX via LAS. Any AA domestic flight longer than 2200 miles in First will yield 210 TP each way. So in this case it would be:
    2 x 210 TP + 2 x 60 TP or 540 TP total.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Y-UPs are good value if you’re chasing TPs, though personally I’ve never done one, I quite like the idea of visiting Panama, so may well try it one day.

December in the US can be tricky as it’s peak leisure travel season, fares can be high and availability low – please you’re more likely to have weather issues which could ruin your plans.

The first thing I’d do, if flexible, is re-book your JFK-LHR onto a JFK-LCY flight – this earns the same TPs as an F fare. An extra 60 TPs without much effort on your part.

You might consider starting your return journey in BOS, which would add another slew of TPs, especially if you flew JFK-BOS, BOS-JFK-LCY-AMS, AMS-LHR. That’s another 160 if all in Club.

Alternatively, you might be better off waiting for the usual BA Boxing Day fare sale, and booking a nice weekend break in the UAE – about £1000 but at least a warm longhaul vacation rather than a battle on shorthaul flights around the US with lots of changing of planes.

There are some good deals available for travel even if booked now, so that might be an option:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/business-flights/public/en_gb/en_gbDM1_Mkt=UK&DM1_Channel=Social&DM1_Campaign=Nov12PLOSale&DM1_

If it’s your own money, I’d probably weigh up whether buying a glass of champers and some oysters every time you fly wouldn’t be a more luxurious experience than getting F lounge access vs. simply relaxing in the Galleries lounges with your Silver card.

250TPs is quite a tall order in December if you’ve no business travel planned.

LucaForna
    Participant

Thank you very much for your help Senator and VK. I will definitely try to look current rates and availabilities for your suggested routes.
    VK, yes, it’s my own money. I’m italian and I’m an undergraduate student in London. I travel quite a lot though, both for pleasure and study. I was considering if this extra trip was worth it or not not only because of the different lounges but even because of the chances to be upgraded. I’ve been a silver customer for 2 years now and I’ve never been upgraded once! My exec account is italian, last year I barely made it to silver but this year they rased the tier points necessary to make it to gold from 800 to 1500..

jayjay007
    Participant

gold status used to bring along many more benefits than now;anyway it ‘s a shame to loose it on so few points.you should consider,though,that gold status does not bring you immediate right to upgrades -there is a sort of “hidden” scale which reports to ALL of your commercial/flight history.

i guess VK is the right member to update you on that…

VintageKrug
    Participant

I don’t think Gold used to bring more benefits than now, especially when you factor in the sliding scale of additional benefits for the highest TP earning members. Or did you mean there used to be fewer of them, so you were more likely to get upgraded?

I was under the impression that BA was offering an additional year to requalify at the old rates for those based in Europe, to ease the transition? But I suppose that was only for existing Golds.

Indeed, I would say I was upgraded about the same as a Silver as is the case now as a Gold over many years standing.

It’s much more about external factors such as the day, route and timing of flights which increases your chance if an upgrade.

There is also the “CIV factor” which is taken into account, though I don’t think BA use this as well as they could.

Sometimes I’m ushered into First and look rather longingly at my preferred seat in Upper Deck Club as I rather feel I should stay awake and enjoy F, whereas in Club I have no qualms about bedding down for the night and eschewing the in flight service.

jayjay007
    Participant

pls correct me if i’m wrong
    1.lost all time access to lounge ,even if not travelling oneworld -there should have been a distinction maintaining access to gold members

2.gold upgrade for two -previous requirement was 2000 TP
    NOW , WITH AVIOS,moved up to 2500 TP

Tim2soza
    Participant

Indirect flights on AA get double tier points, so worth bouncing out of DFW for example. Not as high yielding as a JFK – LAX run but it might get you 240 points for less $. Then a short hop somewhere for the last 10.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls