BA flight deck security

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• BigDog.
    Participant

Methinks ensuring 2 people on the flight deck is more of a platitude to press and passengers than an effective way of preventing a pilot with mental problems downing an aircraft.

A rogue pilot can relatively easily achieve the same outcome even when there is another pilot on the flight deck.

insider
    Participant

There can be unforeseen consequences of making a snap decision to allowing a cabin crew member into the cockpit too. For 1, it means the process of keeping the cockpit door open is extended whilst the pilot comes out and the crew member goes in. That gives more possibility for someone to try and break into the cockpit. Also a rogue cabin crew member could equally overpower the 1 remaining pilot and cause he same issue. I think snap decisions are not the best in aviation – consequences need to be properly thought through

rferguson
    Participant

@ bigdog. Agree 1000%. Same as liquids in little bottles through security. It’s pointless. If five terrorists each passed through security with their little 100ml bottles they would still be able to make a bomb. It is to placate the press and passengers. Even Germanwings parent company LH was reluctant to introduce a ‘two people in the flight deck at all times’ policy in the wake of the suicide crash. It was media pressure that made them buckle.

If I was in the flight deck while the other pilot was relieving himself I would have no idea if the in control pilot disengaged the autopilot or such. I do not even know what it looks like.

KarlMarx
    Participant

IMHO, the clear reason to have two people on the flight deck at all times is incapacitating illness.

Sadly, there have been a number of instances of this over the years and the locked door then becomes a potential problem – yes, there are no doubt allowances made to open the door from the outside, but systems can malfunction and I’d feel easier if there was another person who could open the door manually and seek help.

RFerguson, you would likely hear some type of audible alarm. On the Airbus 320 it is a cheep-cheep-cheep noise – I know this, as you can hear it from the front few rows of seats on landing and asked a pilot, who was saying goodbye to pax by the exit.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Whilst there remains no capability from outside the flight deck for one crew member to override a locked and secured flight deck door, it just seems good operating procedure to ensure there is a second set of hands for a host of reasons, not just a deranged pilot.

I don’t recall any comment about a cabin crew member being trained to monitor controls, buttons and instruments.

esselle
    Participant

TK routinely use a trolley to block when the cockpit door is being opened.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I think I would also have been concerned though I’m not sure I would have had the courage to question the crew member on it. What annoys me though is the stock answer “we don’t discuss security measures”!

I agree with someone being in the cockpit with the other pilot not so much because he may be deranged, but in case of illness as KarlMarx said. Pilots do have heart attacks and so I think it only prudent.

canucklad
    Participant

An interesting discussion
    To solve the problem, just stick a plastic bucket in there with them , or fit pilots with a colostomy bag……A blunt approach, to resolve, what seems to be a simple problem.

For me, the bigger issue, stems back to the emotionally charged ham fisted decision to isolate the most stressed people on your aircraft, by creating both a physical and more importantly a physiological barrier

Sadly these days, any solution tends to lack common sense, it’s either black or white in an attempt to placate the majority, normally influenced by a risk averse hysteria driven press.

I’d actually do the opposite and relax the locking of the door. This would ensure complacency doesn’t creep into stopping lunatics from entering the aircraft in the first place.

And I’ll leave you with this chilling thought……It took years of planning to pull off 9/11, what if those monsters who put absolutely no value on live, have recognised the best way to enter a secure cockpit is to create sleeper cells……..at BA, AA, EK, etc…….Once they have become trusted colleagues they are instructed to carry out their evil deeds !! Securely stuck behind closed doors with innocents/ air marshals not being able to intervene……

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Terrible thought Canucklad, Don’t Air Marshall’s keep an emergency key to the cockpit?

handbag
    Participant

rferguson – 20/07/2015 12:58 BST
    Agree.

MrMichael
    Participant

Said I would keep an eye out on my BA flight this morning. Both pilots managed to go the whole distance 2 hours 15 gate to gate without needing a comfort break.

I like the two in cockpit rule. It might not stop a determined nutcase, but will make it that much harder, as has been said, the very least they could open the darn door. The downside, I guess my coffee might take five minutes longer.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls