BA First .. Check in baggage

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

Bullfrog
    Participant

I’d like to check in a box of 12 bottles of wine when I fly from Miami to London in First Class. Any advice gratefully received.

RichHI1
    Participant

Not sure about airline reqs, I do not think you will a need an alcohol import license for that vloume. What I have exoerience of and thoroughly recommend are the inflatable wine sleeves that make the bottles less likely to damage. I was sold a number fo these in Chile and shipped a number of bottles in them without any damage at all.
    Apart from the import issues I would talk to the BA freight station at Miami as you may not need refrigeration but if you do not make special arrangements your case(s) may sit in trollies or in the sun for quite a while (particularly if sepearated for manual handling as fragile) at 80-90F during loading which could adversely affect the quality of the final product, equally all holds are pressurized but some airlines keep air temp in some hold space suitabel for livestock transport and this is probably what you want to ensure perfect condition. I know airlines in Chile and Argentina are use to people shipping wine by air, Miami I think they are more used to other substances being shipped in a less legal manner. Good Luck and cheers.

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Good luck in getting the wine to London, when you arrive you will have to use the red channel and declare the wine for payment of import duty

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

Hi, I did this quite a lot a few years ago when I was travelling back and forth between the UK and Australia and the UK and San Fran.

I would purchase wine boxes, which just look like ordinary boxes but have a styrofoam insert which holds 12 bottles and is airline safe – I’ve never had a broken bottle.

BA will allow you to check them into the hold – so no problems there.

In terms of import duty to the UK – walk through the red channel, more often than not, you will find its closed and you can walk straight through.

If you do need to declare it, it (was) 1.20 GBP per bottle – although that would have increased.

Binman62
    Participant

Yep Red channel every time …never anyone there in my experience and last 3 trips through Green also found them deserted. I know they are hidden behind the glass walls, CCTV is everywhere and they operate more on intelligence than random searches. They are present generally when the West African, South American and other flights arrive. When not manned your are expected to use the red phone.

Duty rates in the UK are currently… Source HMRC web site.

36 pence on a 70cl bottle of spirits @ 37.5 per cent abv;
    • 2 pence on a pint of beer;
    • 5 pence on a litre of still cider;
    • 9 pence on a 75cl bottle of sparkling cider;
    • 10 pence on a 75cl bottle of wine or made-wine; and
    • 12 pence on a 75cl bottle of sparkling wine.

VAT however is 20% and is charged on the total value of the good above the allowed duty free limits as well as on the Duty rates above.

The helpline number is 0845 010 9000 and manned 0800-1800 UK time Monday to Friday only. The web site states that they can provide details of the import duty and taxes you would pay if bringing in more than the duty free allowance.

You can bring in 4 litres of still wine in addition to 1 litre of spirits per passenger over 18. So if there are 2 of you, there would be no duty no duty on a case of wine.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Thanks for the help.

I’m getting some Californian wine that was served in First Class and absolutely delicious.

Ricardo
    Participant

Binman62 – Don’t know how you arrived at your figures – you must have misread something.

I am in ‘the trade’ and know that Duty on 12 btls of still wine not exceeding 15%abv is £21.71 PLUS VAT. 12 btls still wine over 15%abv (some sherries, port etc) is £28.94 plus VAT. 12 btls fizz is £28.94 plus VAT.

So duty and VAT on a single bottle of still wine is £2.17. Add on cost of bottle, label, shipping and retailer’s profit margin (also plus VAT)then your £3.50 bargain wine at a supermarket doesn’t leave much money for the wine itself! Remember – you get what you pay for….. normally a stinking headache!

Bullfrog – have you checked the wine isn’t already shipped to the UK by an importer? Also…. it is fairly well known that wine will taste different at 38,000ft as opposed to in the comfort of your home. “Try before you buy” as they say!

Good luck.

Ciao, R.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Ricardo .. Thanks for the note.
    Tried on winesearcher .. Alas nothing.
    Parker scored the wine with 91

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls