BA ‘Firefly’

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks Binman, that will explain it as I seemed to recollect seeing Concorde in Iran Air livery.

Just a thought here, will the flame risk going out if delayed by immigration queues at LHR? 😉

CXDiamond
    Participant

Why didn’t they paint the whole plane, the tail looks rather silly. Also no sign of the Olympic logo on it which seems rather remiss of BA.

RichHI1
    Participant

LuganoPirate, when something is important they use an RAF base not Heathslow. Amazing they actually had to create a new airport code for it as RAF stations are Not listed in commercial aviation databases.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

I was watching progress on Flightradar alongside News24, I thought it was so funny that they went into a holding pattern off Falmouth and made two circuits, if ever there should have been a straight in approach it should have been then, they were waiting for it! Then again, maybe all BA planes that use LHR are programmed to go in to a hold before landing!

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Does anyone know why there isn’t an Olympic logo on the Firefly? It seems like rather a missed opportunity to have repainted a plane which I understand too nine days, especially as BA have sponsored the Olympics.

Hippocampus
    Participant

I think it’s fairly obvious that some slack would have been built into the flight plan so that the opportunity to show the landing to millions of viewers on primetime BBC1 wouldn’t be missed if there were unforeseen delays…..

ImissConcorde
    Participant

LPPSKrisflyer – I think you’ll find that the Olympic logo is already on aircraft – Olympic of Greece!

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

LPPS – BA is not a worldwide partner for the Olympics, unlike – Coca-Cola, Panasonic, Visa, Acer, Samsung etc. As such BA will be limited on leveraging Olympic Symbols (as opposed to the 2012 logo)outside their home country.

JordanD
    Participant

Extension of Tete‘s point: BA are sponsors of LOCOG, and so are entitled to use the London 2012 symbols, which they do on a number of pieces of internal material. They are limited to using the sponsorship within the UK, except on plane based materials (e.g. inflight magazines, the aircraft themselves).

They aren’t able to use the rings, because they don’t sponsor the IOC who are the ‘custodians’ of that Olympic Rings logo.

LPPS – the aircraft went into the hold, because it was due down at 1925, and arrived early. As the event was for the broadcast media (both domestically and internationally), it had to land on the mark, so had to complete a couple of circuits.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

JordanD: The landing time was 19.31! Watching News24 at the same time as flight radar they were quite sure it was due at 19.25 so I was amazed to watch it go into the hold. It had already been delayed leaving ATH because of the torrential rain I was surprised when the hold happened too.

highspeed1
    Participant

This aircraft was parked at the nortern end of the LHR T5 A gates early (about 05:30) on the morning of Saturday 19 May. Had a great view of it on return to business car park in Heathrow Pod. I thought it looked the part.

BA has been given special permission to fly its Firefly A319 aircraft at 1,000 feet over The Mall on Monday, as part of the Greatest Team Parade celebrating Team GB’s London 2012 achievements.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/baa-s-firefly-to-fly-low-over-the-mall-for-olym

VintageKrug
    Participant

Now that will be worth watching!

Note in reference to an earlier post, Iran Air never operated Concorde, but they did order a couple after Heseltine cornered the Shah walking to a plane once.

The Concorde you are thinking of was the model in Iran Air’s Piccadilly office, which I believe was in its window until relatively recently:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9Z6cQoa_gh8/TaNCapUnchI/AAAAAAAAb8w/WHVfaWEtHV0/s1600/Iran%2BAir%2BConcorde.jpg

Binman62
    Participant

VK I understood they operated a leased aircraft for a few flights but not in their livery. Not sure of it was a wet lease though.

They werevthelast airline to cancel their orders.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Worth watching out for the Firefly+Red Arrows flypast at about 3.41pm today.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls