BA Euro Traveller Experience

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

Binman62
    Participant

Checked in online using Android app and noted that seat had changed from that which I had allocated on MMB about -36 hours to STD.
    Instead of 4A, front row of Euro Traveller and just 2 abreast, now had had 6A. My previous seat was allocated so confirmed 6A and hoped for the best.

Arrived at LHR T5 at 15.21 and parked in short term car park on level 1 which was pretty empty. Proceeded to south security and fast track (I have a Gold Card) to find just 4 people in front of me at 15.30 on a Friday afternoon. As a result found my self entering the First lounge at 15.37 just 16 minutes after entering the car park.

The lounge was not quiet by any means but there were plenty of seats. I asked about the change of seats at the customer service desk which was manned by a rather grumpy gentleman who managed the entire transaction in less than a dozen words. In the end it seems that I never actually had 4A and my PNR showed that this was a request and not a confirmed seat. Not sure how that happened but the explanation was at least provided.

Food in the lounge was disappointing. I first choose a pre plated curry which consisted almost entirely of rice and I exchanged this for another dish which was significantly better. I had not used the First lounge before and had not realised there was a menu from which I could order similar to the Concorde Room.

The meal was washed down with 2 very large glasses of delightful Rose champagne however the name escapes me. I would have had a third but the bar was empty and in 10 minutes not replenished and it was time to board.

I was the last to board at -15 to STD and was actually called by name…very embarrassing. Once on board and much to my relief, seat 6B was vacant. More surprisingly was that Club had just 3 passengers and yet no upgrade offers were made and when I asked in the lounge the staff could not assist with the price. I also noted that the upgrade desk no longer had a sign “ask here about upgrades” and simply read “customer service desk”

Despite the early boarding there were no flight crew and so we were then delayed. The delay was further exacerbated by ATC and reduced flow rates at LHR because it was windy. As a result the 16.50 departure finally got airborne around 6pm. I am just grateful I do not do this for a living any more, LHR is a disaster and the ostrich mentality of those who say that either there should be no 3rd runway or a new airport is going to destroy the economy of this country. It does not seem to matter if it is rain, snow, fog or winds there are very few days in the year when LHR can actually operate as it should, and that is before aircraft incidents and the myriad of other things that can affect the operation of an airfield.

Once underway, service was perfunctory. A rather nasty paper cup of coffee was presented and left, but there was at least a large and welcome VAT. The Ipad was used to watch 2 episodes of a classic comedy and the 1 hour flight passed quickly. We were disembarked quickly but I chose the wrong queue for German passport control and the one woman in front of me took a little longer than normal. As a result I missed the 20.02 train by seconds. In the end my journey took a little more than 5 hours door to door but could have been achieved in 4.

The return journey on Sunday was again pretty straightforward. Check in on the phone was simple and I got the seat which was allocated earlier in the week, 4A. The DUS lounge was again almost empty which does make me wonder about its future. I have never seen more than 6 people in there in the last 2 years.

The food choice was limited but tasty but I passed on anything alcoholic as I had had my monthly allowance in just over an hour the previous night. A feat repeated for many hours and I probably should not drink again before Halloween. I then sat with my feet up looking out to the runway and again settled into watching some programming on the ipad.

Boarding was timely and efficient and we ready to depart at -10. Again ATC intervened and we waited till STD to move off. The crew were a little less perfunctory on the trip home led by a cheerful CSD. The coffee was still vile and this time no VAT as I was driving on arrival.

Amazingly there was no holding on a Sunday afternoon and we arrived early and directly onto a a stand in T5A. Disembarkation was delayed slightly as we waited for a jetty.

Once off there was the long trip to immigration where the welcome to Britain is far from warm. The queues were horrific for UK and EU passport holders at 5pm on a Sunday. I gave up on Iris a long time ago but they were at least operational, so I joined the queue and prepared to wait. I then noticed the signs for “E passport” which were roped off and apparently not being used. I asked someone in a nondescript uniform if they were and the affirmative grunt led to a rush of folks to use them.

I was lucky that it took just two attempts to get through (probably because I looked worse for wear and nothing like my passport photograph…but who does?) I had no bags and so found myself exiting the short term car park less than 15 minutes after the aircraft had stopped at the gate.

The car park exit however had other plans as my ticket and the prepaid booing had not matched and I was asked for £147. I was surprised and delighted when having pressed the intercom button a lady was able to deal with the whole thing there and then and the delay to my exit was kept to an absolute minimum.

In summary, T5 is very good when parking in short term, the lounges are great but the flights in Euro traveller are ghastly. The seat is uncomfortable ( and this is row 4 so is also a Club Europe seat) and there is no service. I am just grateful I had my own entertainment. The return was the same, great airport at DUS, super lounge and uncomfortable flight. The arrival procedures and the queues would shame some third world countries and there is not even the pretence of customer service.

In short flying BA Euro traveller as a Silver or Gold card holder an on a cheap ticket is just, but only just ,about acceptable.

kevin46
    Participant

Had the customer service agent in the lounge been white anglo saxon, would you have highlighted that point also?..Just wondering.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Kevin46

There is nothing that infers discrimination in that comment, no more than saying a grumpy ‘blonde lady’, ‘young guy’, ‘Maltese’, ‘foreigner’, ‘northerner’ etc.

We label people everyday, it is only when we suggest that the group we are labelling are inferior/inherently evil/to be persecuted etc. that it becomes discriminatory.

On 7th July 2005 several people of Asian race blew up tubes and a bus in London.

Now tell me why I should not use the word Asian to describe the perps.

Does that imply that I believe Asians are ‘untermensch?’

Bucksnet
    Participant

kevin46

Racism sucks mate!

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

I agree Bucksnet.

Equally so do personal attacks for no good reason.

Binman62
    Participant

kevin 46…have edited the post and removed the word.

kevin46
    Participant

Thank you Binman for being so gracious. Travel safe!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls