BA drops Anytime Access for Gold cardholders

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 107 total)

• NTarrant
    Participant

Company policy to fly out Easyjet but back BA, right.

So Swiss who are you flying if it is not EZY or BA?

Swissdiver
    Participant

I am a freelancer based in GVA. Usual preference is direct flight short haul and BA long haul. When BA is too expensive then AF. How this will evolve in the lights of this hardly acceptable change is unknown. Still have to think about it.

openfly
    Participant

Often use it. If BA do not fly a route or am at another airport abroad it is nice to keep in touch with BA and the UK in the BA lounge. If BA dont want me then fine…my Gold card gets cut up and sent to Keith Williams. I haven’t even received the email.

When Keith Williams took over the job he said that he would see that Premiums were looked after as much as possible as they meant so much to BA….yeah, yeah, yeah!

They sure know how to upset their Premium passengers. CUT YOUR CARD UP and send it in.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Lounge access for me is an important part of airtravel & I have used the Anytime Access on many occasions, usually in Europe, when flying Easy Jet from Geneva and Zurich and the odd LH flight from Dusseldorf. To me Anytime Access is a luxury that became a necessity.

It makes absolutely perfect sense to me for BA to withdraw the benefit and whilst it may be an inconvenience, it is not, for me, a life changing experience.

It just means that my Priority Pass will get more use.

The fact that Anytime Access is still valid for Oneworld partner flights remains a benefit.

Why should BA entertain LCC passengers?

RfmT1971
    Participant

I’ve been BA Gold since 1995 and *G since 96. Today, all my long haul is LHR to wherever but I use a lot of AB for short haul commutes home to the UK on routes that BA doesn’t even serve. The decision can only be cost-driven and obviously the “Goldies” as we used to be referred to are just not that important. I guess I’m lucky that for whatever reason, AB is joining Oneworld sometime soon. Nevertheless – a really bad decision in terms of motivating people… At the same time, I would really like to know how many Goldies “support” this?!

RfmT1971
    Participant

BTW… There is an important issue here which Swissdiver referred to… The only reason we are allowed access is because we all spend enough with BA – we are no a group of freeloaders using LCC for the fun of it – as I mentioned previously, I don’t have an option on some of my routes home and therefore this is a serious annoyance. I can’t believe that this is in the interests of the vast majority of premium tier travellers, and the irony of taking Air Berlin in One World (Gold with them too) is just too amusing.

batraveller2
    Participant

I think BA is just trying to lose its loyal customers! First the disgrace of charter crew (sorry mixed fleet) flight on BA and now no lounge access if flying a different airline. I frequently use the old BA (now BA/AA) lounge at Denver as usually use frontier airlines as one world is a joke at Denver (United has the presence). I lhave always supported BA but they are pushing how much someone can be loyal to an airline. I will probably be better off moving to star alliance which have a better US network and nicer lounges than Admiral. BA is losing the plot. I will await a response from V Krug (who I hear has been banned from most sites – I would like to know why?)

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I still dont get why BAEC, should allow passengers of other airlines (especially a LCC) to use their lounges. Perhaps the LCC would allow BAEC additional bagage allowance or access to speedier security.

Remember I admit to finding Anytime Access extremly useful – but agree with the changes. At least it will leave more room for the card holders who are actually flying BA to use the BA lounge.

batraveller2
    Participant

If you are based in the UK, it costs a lot of money to get the tier points for gold, and in addition I do not think a lot of gold members would fly easyjet unless BA had pulled out of the route (as it has many). I rarely fly from lgw but I cant imagine the lounges are full of gold holders on 20 quid easyjet flights! But it affects other airports like Denver where one world do not have a hub. I am an avid supporter of BA and only fly long haul but more and more they are trying to upset frequent travellers (i.e. as a BA gold you never get an upgrade on AA, but if you were star alliance, my friends always get upgrades for free on united). I think BA is slowly declining o Iberia standards – soon will be pay for all on board – may cut costs – but few customers. And then hopefully Virgin will expand and pick up the market.

Daytripper
    Participant

Astonishing that VK and the BA apologists are trying to justify BA’s decision to withdraw the perk on the basis that it’s ‘bad business’. If so, why has Anytime Access existed for over 10 years?

It’s not as if Easyjet and the low costs have suddenly started eating into BA’s bottom line. It’s been happening for years.

openfly
    Participant

If BA is suggesting that one of the reasons is the lack of space at LGW in the lounges…that is balderdash!

Gatwick Exec lounges allow Golds and Silvers to take a guest, ie a wife, AND unlimited children. It’s no wonder they are full.

There are very few Easyjet flights from the North terminal. I think the problem also arises in GLA and EDI where BA have stopped so many flights that passengers have no choice but to use Easyjet….I had to yesterday. BA does not have a flight from GLA to LGW on a sat after 13.25! So I was forced to fly EZY for the first time….quiet a pleasant experience for £27! But every seat taken….and BA is reducing its capacity on the route because they cannot fill their flights…something wrong somewhere.

NTarrant
    Participant

Openfly that is quite incorrect that there are “very few” EZY flights from LGW North. There are as many EZY as there are BA, particularly in the afternoon.

Does LH or AF allow access to high tier members if they are travelling with non-alliance member airlines or indeed BA?

Swissdiver
    Participant

@Ntarrant: we already agreed they are not. But is it the point? Do we want to see One World becoming a M&M clone? I certainly don’t!

For long BA strategy was to focus on premium long haul passenger. Fine. And sense-making since they have probably the best long haul business class product in Europe. So many here would favour BA CW when choosing a flight. Now a strategic mind must think global! We sometime strive (especially the UK based members) to maintain our loyalty and status to BA and expect a global service. One that IMV include Anytime Access.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Swissdiver – I cant see why any airline should host pax flying on another airline and outside of any alliance partnership.

I think the switch to allowing oneworld ticket holders to use the BA lounges is superb as long as this is FULLY reciprocated by all members of the alliance, including domestic USA flights.

Its a bit like all are equal, but one puts more into the pot.

I have enough of an issue when seeing BA staff in uniform using the lounge.

Where the lounge facilities need to be enhanced is the BA T5 arrival lounge which is now heaving most mornings, with q’s to get a shower. Its a shame that European travellers do not have access to the T5 arrival lounge.

My vote is with BA to remove the Anytime Access, despite the fact I am a user of the facility.

RfmT1971
    Participant

Maybe one interesting option would be to allow us to use our miles (I’m 7 digit+) to “buy” entry if we’re not travelling with them on the day. That way, I would finally be able to start using my miles for something which I would really appreciate? Thoughts anyone…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 107 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls