BA drops 14 places and now ranked 40 in the world's best airlines

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• transtraxman
    Participant

As Ah,Mr.Bond says, 815121, these rankings are no so clear as they seem.
    I remember some years ago one esteemed member of this forum stated that there was a clear financial inducement to Skytrax to up our own rankings. This seemed to negate any value of this ranking system. I do not know if that is true but there are other awards given by media, agents etc. who seem to contradict these findings. I would appreciate somebody listing what they consider the best or most reliable ranking systems to be.Then we could all come to our own conclusions based on what could be considered impartial data, apart from our own experiences.
    Skytrax I certainly do not trust.

capetonianm
    Participant

I have seen some of my submissions to Skytrax ignored because they don’t suit the agenda, or worse, modified to change what I said.
    It seems to me and other people who have submitted to them in the past that you cannot criticise their ‘preferred’ airlines, nor praise those whom they don’t favour.

I rate Skytrax about on par with a blind man’s opinion of a painting.

Blanicka
    Participant

Capetonianm – I thought it was just me having issues with Skytrax. They refused to print negative review of my flights with Asiana Airlines and Qatar even though I provided them with evidence. When I wanted to give a positive review for Virgin Atlantic, that was also refused as my opinion was different to the majority!
    I am taking everything I read on Skytrax with a large pinch of salt.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

… if you look at the numerous travel related magazines globally all of whom run Business Awards you might get a clearer picture of “the good the bad and the ugly” as the cream generally rises to the top. The accusation leveled at the those magazines is there results are determined by the advertising dollars they spend in said magazine. Is that true I can’t say but….. As for BA’s plummeting position I very much doubt that Snr Cruz and co will spend anytime reflecting on it. If it was a concern they would have not got themselves in this mess they are in, in the first place.

Edski777
    Participant

F_DOS, on average the “favorite four” went from rank 59 to 52. Not impressive, but still an improvement.
    For some a slight loss for others a significant improvement.

Looking at the numbers the management of IAG seems content with their “flagship” label somewhere between rank 40 and 50.
    That should be in line with the 3* European competition.
    Whatever we feel about the rating method, the sampling method or the ethics of the company behind it: it is in line with opinions of large groups of travelers taking time to write their thoughts down in all kinds of travel fora. It is also broadly in line with the opinion of a wide variety of professional travel journalists.

This leads me to one conclusion: a once decent airline is being wrecked for the greed of management and shareholders.
    This survey is, alas, just another confirmation of just that.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=814934]
    Turkish Airlines at number 12 is a joke, it’s not that their bad, it’s just that they’re not that good.

[/quote]

I’ve flown Turkish Airlines a bit in the last 2 years. Their short haul business class is the best in Europe. Their economy is quite decent. Food + entertainment are better than most Western carriers including SQ in my view. Service can be hit and miss. Planes are brand new. Istanbul lounge makes transiting a joy in all classes. Compare that to SQ Krisflyer Gold Lounge at Changi which is an international embarrassment of Trump like standing. The food on long haul business class is akin to most airline’s F class. They’re let down often by staff in Istanbul but if I lived under Erdogan, I’d be pretty pi$$ed off too 😉

But yes, Skytrax are a joke. Sadly it’s only the enlightened few that know that so airlines keep using Skytrax for marketing purposes. Oh well.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls