BA Crew in HK Isolation

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

• anyonebutba
    Participant

[postquote quote=1011947][/postquote]

she will get fired for this. and rightly so, its hardly BA’s fault if one of the crew test positive. crying like the bratt she seems to be about the local authorities doing what they think is right, and blaming her employer too is just childish, ah well one less to make redundant I guess đŸ™‚

5 users thanked author for this post.

DavidGrodentz
    Participant

It seems the standard of Daily Mail reporting has not changed, still full of errors and nonsense. The quarantine camp is newly built but basic, it is not at the shuttered Disneyland but on land that they had the option to purchase. Bars are open in HK, bars with food licences have only been closed for a short period twice this year.

We have never had the ‘draconian’ lockdowns that have existed in the UK or Europe. No forced stay at home but work from home encouraged, no closure of non essential shops, voluntary mask wearing followed by most of the population which became mandatory when the third wave hit in July.

Second and third waves came from overseas, through breaches and poorly thought out loopholes that have now been closed by enhanced quarantine rules on arrival

Did this lady really expect to be allowed to stay at the Marriott and be able to infect other guests, it is not a quarantine hotel. It is primarily offering staycations for local residents at the moment

The only news worthy pieces in this article are the loophole that allowed the cockpit crew to leave, and (from 01 Oct) the requirement for all HK residents arriving from the UK to have 14 day mandatory quarantine in an approved hotel (no longer allowed at home) and a negative test before boarding the plane in the UK

5 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

What a shame the Daily Mail chose to spin the story about poor young member of cabin crew, forced to leave 5* Marriott Hotel to enter a basic quarantine facility due to a positive test presumably within her crew bubble & how she had to steal the soap/tooth brush/slippers before she left.

Would have been a perfect opportunity for any paper to highlight quarantine HKG/Asia style, against the ridiculous and unenforceable self isolation UK style & how strictly rules are enforced in HKG.

Our bigger problem in the UK are the sheer numbers of people who feel face coverings / self isolation / track and tracing / social distancing, does not apply to them. Even in my local Tesco’s yesterday, I had to ask a member of staff whether face covering was compulsory (which it became the previous day) – sheepishly, she put a face covering on.

I have sympathy for the shock factor the cabin crew may have endured going from 5* to basic, but I have no sympathy for their need to follow the rules and regulations of the jurisdiction they have travelled to and to ensure the safety of fellow travellers and residents. I only wish the UK were as strict.

If anyone is any doubt about about how the youth in the UK respect authority, watch the You Tube clip below of a member of the British Transport Police asking a member of the public to wear a face covering on the public transport. For balance I have used 2 clips ….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXs_5NfZAJs

In summary, good on HKG…

7 users thanked author for this post.

Stevescoots
    Participant

No sympathy at all, however i am surprised HK has not set up some quarantine hotels and followed the mainland and other Asia countries such as Vietnam where i am to allow non ID card holding business and experts to enter. certainly the hotel industry needs every penny they can get and here in VN there is now a lot of hotels desperate to get on the official qurantine list

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

I totally agree Simon the Daily Mail has looked pretty bleak to me for many years.

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

I totally agree Simon the Daily Mail has looked pretty bleak to me for many years.

[postquote quote=1012017][/postquote]

Non local arrivals to Hong Kong have always been allowed to quarantine in Hotels if not infected. My sister (a NZ passport holder) arrived from the USA in February and comfortably quarantined at the Royal Garden hotel in TST.

TupeloKid
    Participant

It’s hard to know where to start on this Daily Mail article, which sets its tone by referring to health officials as “enforcers” who “forced her out” of the hotel, and concludes by saying that “The commercial hub has recorded a total of just 5,000 coronavirus cases and 103 deaths – many experts attribute this relatively low level of the virus to crackdowns on liberty unconscionable in the West.” Nothing to do with widespread and voluntary mask wearing, improved hygiene and social distancing from the outset.

Hong Kong had no lockdown (you know – that thing which would have been unconscionable in the West, yet happened – err – in the West). Yes, bars which did not also serve food were closed for a while, but I spent rather too long in a bar on Friday, without noticing that the bar was, in fact, closed. Odd, that.

At least the poor girl managed to fill her case with Marriott toiletries despite having “only 30 minutes” to pack.

SimonS1
    Participant

Bit of a choker for the Marriott which lost the toiletries and presumably had a deep clean on their hands.

I agree on the DM though….still at least it has been a champion of the “something must be done” brigade.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1012017]here in VN there is now a lot of hotels desperate to get on the official qurantine list[/quote]

If like Dubai it’s what happens when they come off the quarantine list they need to worry about.

Stevescoots
    Participant

[postquote quote=1012057][/postquote]

My understanding is that since March or April nobody could enter without HKID except diplomats and aircrew

Roa1
    Participant

anyonebutba

Under the UK’s employment jurisprudence it’s NOT ok to show differences of treatment of employees; allowing the pilots to go home whilst treating the other crew members differently. It would be interesting to find out what type of risk assessment was taken to determine why the non-flying crews were placed in a hotel and the flight crews were allowed to go home. On the face of it, it clearly shows there was a difference of treatment between the two, and one party was subjected to less favourable treatment leading to a detriment.

Stevescoots
    Participant

[postquote quote=1012152][/postquote]

but this is in HK, not under UK law.

Alsacienne
    Participant

…… but surely the flight deck crew would have had less interaction with the passengers than the cabin crew and therefore would be less likely to be exposed to COVID-19 during the flight …

4 users thanked author for this post.

Roa1
    Participant

Stevescoots

The BA employees are subject to UK’s employment protection rights, unless they do some SERIOUS crime, when that protection is taken away. As an impartial observer, without knowing the facts, my guess is that the flight deck crews status had probably played a part in treating them differently compared to the rest of crews.

A pity that the camaraderie of bonding as a “team” up in the sky didn’t happen on the ground on this occasion!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls