BA companion voucher & Miles refund?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

• Anonymous

olliewb
    Participant

I am thinking of using my BA companion voucher for a First flight to JFK next year.

If I have to cancel the booking, what happens to the companion voucher and the reward points used for the booking? Will I get a 100% of the miles refunded or lower?? Presumably all taxes are refunded?

DoorsToManual
    Participant

All get refunded, I had to do it earlier in the year. Having said that beware of all James Hillier’s ‘improvements’ to the Exec Club…who knows what will happen now!!!???

VintageKrug
    Participant

I wouldn’t “beware” at all; one of the changes is a reduction in the number of BA Miles/Avios points needed to redeem to New York.

So wait until after mid November and instead of needing 150,000 BA Miles, you’ll only need 120,000 Avios round trip.

For those who aren’t BA Gold Card holders there will be a £25 cancellation fee introduced as part of the changes; this compares to $150/£100 for American Airlines and should serve to reduce the number of tentative bookings made by people who then cancel last minute, denying others the opportunity to use those seats (as they rarely return to redemption inventory)

I also have a feeling that there might be considerably better availability opportunities in tandem with the changes…..so hold back your booking for a couple of weeks.

DoorsToManual
    Participant

VintageK, we all know you work, for, alongside, inside, beside, ‘are in bed with’, British Airways. Bring us more money/miles/Avios saving tips and you’ll see how fast you can make the regular users of this forum love you. You’re exactly what’s wrong with BA, slightly pompous but endearing.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Endearing, but in no way connected with BA.

I have no need of “forum love”, kinky though that does sound….!

It’s most strange that nearly every post you make mentions me in a rather negative way. Most strange indeed.

DoorsToManual
    Participant

Strange but true.
    My reasoning: You are so pro BA, more so than anyone else on this Forum. You have (good) insider knowledge of all things BA, even before they release information. You defend BA as if your life depended on it…and IF you were on the payroll that would explain all. Maybe it’s the fact that you have this air of mystery that intrigues me and many more.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Well I’m not on the BA payroll, directly or indirectly via a third party supplier, or indeed anything related to aviation and nor is anyone connected with me.

I’m more concerned than pleased that you’re intrigued; I’m sure you have better things to concern yourself with.

It’s very dull for others if the board turns to introspection – Tom Otley knows exactly who I am and that what I say is true – I would ask that you respect my privacy.

And I’m not entirely pro-BA; just challenge subjective and often inaccurate opinion which often verges on the hyperbolic with the facts as I see them. You only have to look at my comments on “snug Europe” to see this is the case.

I fly other airlines, and am Gold with Star Alliance (earned) and Plat with SkyTeam (comped, and I won’t be renewing).

To get back on topic, what refund charges to other airline loyalty schemes impose?

openfly
    Participant

I can see the logic of waiting for better offers in mid-Nov for Mileage flights from BA, but one must be mindful of the extortionate increase in UK aviation taxes after Nov 1st.

VintageKrug
    Participant

That’s a good point, openfly, but as I understand it you’d be charged the relevant taxes for flights taken after 1 Nov even if you booked them beforehand.

And these taxes are levied by government, not by BA.

Andresdavis
    Participant

Hey hi, I am also a newbie to this forum. I have witnessed some really nice and very interesting threads here..was actually about to post my comment there but then thought why not to introduce myself first.
    Hope will have a nice time here

olliewb
    Participant

Thanks for the comments.

I had already noticed that as from 1 November miles/Avios will be reduced from 150,000 to 120,000, so I am just waiting.

Binman62
    Participant

There should be better redemption availability soon as they (BA) along with everyone else are simply not selling premium seats in the way they did even a few months ago.

The enhancement that will be introduced by which long suffering BAEC members will now have yet another fee to look out for, will do nothing to reduce speculative bookings. This is because Gold cards are imune from the charge and they are the very people who have the mileage means to make such booking in the first place.
    A redemption booking was once free of fuel surcharges and available with out the need for crystal ball or the ability to travel the following day…….now flexibilty comes at a an additional fee. Remind me again what a loyalty scheme was supposed to offer?

openfly
    Participant

@VK regarding the taxes. I checked with my contact at Dial-a-Flight and also with BA Exec Club and they both confirmed that you pay the current government taxes if you book for a flight after the 1st Nov. If you were to change your booking after Nov 1st then the increased taxes would be applied.

VintageKrug
    Participant

While there may be some inducements to redeem in the coming weeks, this is more likely to be connected with a promo around the launch of Avios, rather than any inability to sell premium seats.

Much to the chagrin of some, IAG actually continued to increase premium traffic in September, and did that by a whopping 9.3% compared to 2010, despite a weaker trend at Iberia. This suggests BA is actually beating that figure.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MTA4ODQxfENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1

That’s interesting about the taxes on November 1! Let’s get booking, then!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls