BA Club World food sourced from Iceland?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)

• esselle
    Participant

The comments here, which appear to suggest that food in BA’s premium cabins is pretty good, perhaps only confirm that some folk have more sophisticated tastes than others.

Using arguments about cost, logistics, bowls etc as a defence for mediocrity seems futile to me, as they ignore the fact that many other carriers are capable of offering meals which in terms of both quality and presentation are way better than BA.

Last week, I was offered a choice of “brown or red” sauce with my F breakfast. Having chosen brown, I was handed (yes, handed!) a sachet of HP Sauce.

Good grief!

canucklad
    Participant

What i don’t understand is why 30 years ago I could fly in economy class with CP Air and enjoy fine dining, including proper steaks .

It’s safe to say I can’t re-call ever having a bad meal.

From the chefs to the flight attendants there was a degree of pride with the fare being offered.

Alas now a days, most airlines just don’t have that same commitment from their staff ( BA or otherwise)

The take it or leave it culture really has en-camped itself into todays service industries

BeckyBoop
    Participant

esselle is it true Etihad’s onboard chefs have to of come from working in a Michelin star restaurant with a minimum of two stars and they cook the food from fresh onboard? BTW whatโ€™s wrong with being handed a sachet of HP brown sauce for your breakfast?

millionsofmiles
    Participant

@ VK

Here posted on another site, is Greg5’s recent SEA-LHR Club World supper on a flight taken on 12 October, Olive Oil poached Hamachi with a salad of tomatoes and Asiagi cheese:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-G78sNtbYH58/UHhx-J9rfrI/AAAAAAAADFc/OJKDvkWlqWY/s720/photo.JPG

What I see is a lot of veggies, salad and some piece of fish.

So, if I were a cow, this would be my kind of food (minus the bit of fish) but as a human I would prefer not to eat such bloating food, with loads of peas and salad and basically no proteins.
    This is VERY cheap, even with the little bit of hamachi thrown in, cant be costing more than 4 pounds?
    Really VK, have a look at other airlines’s food and presentation on:

http://www.airplanefood.net/

There you can see the standard of other airlines, there is more to it than just some peas and salad, for sure.

esselle
    Participant

Becky

Sorry, I don’t know the answer to the question about Etihad, but I think in reality most on board chefs are probably into heat /assemble rather than cook from fresh, as the technology available does not really allow this (albeit that CX do,or did, fry eggs to order in First).

To your other question, plastic sachets belong in fast food places, not in First, in my view.

canucklad
    Participant

it’s not just Ethihad….i’m sure Estonian Air do the same thing

Each month a chosen top Tallin chef prepares food in-flight

lloydah
    Participant

canucklad – no worries. My brain doesn’t always start till Wednesday.

Back to the food – my last two flights in BA F were “N F” and I thought the food was appreciably better than it was when I flew Old F. A chat with the crew member and she agreed that the new ovens made life a lot easier.
    And last week my CE flight at 7 30am brought forth really good scrambled eggs – no leather, no lumps, just light and fluffy. Agree with previous point though, tastes better on a plate that those freezer trays.

CBaker2
    Participant

We have had a couple of Washington flights recently and actually commented that the food was much better and we enjoyed it. Do agree that breakfast is hardly exciting but on a flight where getting more sleep is more important than food would not want a huge breakfast.
    Do not like the meals on offer in the BA lounge in Dulles if taking the night flight – prefer to wait and eat the better food on the flight.

HRTraveling
    Participant

We flew over Iceland and the fish entree perfect in CW.
    In October completed 4 CW flights and I found the food good as well as the service. My suggestion would be a quiche or egg dish for breakfast.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

VintageKrug – 29/10/2012 23:03 GMT : Here are some photos, from a Club World flight last week LHR-LAX posted by BlueThroughCrimp on another site, and it all looks pretty appetising to me … Pud (the delicious choc fondant):

Funny, I could have sworn the chocolate fondant was only in First. Are you sure this information is reliable, VK?

esselle – 31/10/2012 13:39 GMT : … CX do,or did, fry eggs to order in First)

Not only that, esselle, they fry bacon to order as well. They also have proper toasters, rice cookers, and coffee makers…

VintageKrug
    Participant

This choc fondant looks to have the same base as the First variant, just without the Olympic flame sugar-thingy on top:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8183/8075796384_1ba459a26f_z.jpg

It’s certainly in Club, either way.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

So, is it established that BA are serving the same food in C & F?

Deleted_User
    Participant

There was no choc fondant in First from JFK.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Think of the calories saved Simon ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls