BA Club Europe

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Montysaurus
    Participant

I searched for a reasonably up to date existing topic but nothing recent came up. I made my first BA CE flight of 2020 last week. I had a small bottle of champagne with my meal. The top was taken off the bottle and retained by the attendant. When we hit a 10 minute patch of turbulence I had to hold the bottle (with no top) in one hand and my glass in the other so I couldn’t eat until things settled down.
    Why retain the bottle top? I noticed it was also done to the person across the aisle.

Daytripper
    Participant

I flew Club Europe last night and also enjoyed (one) quarter bottle of champers. Although the CC did twist the bottle “open”, the lid was then screwed back on and given to me. So clearly what happened to you is an (unwise) CC preference, as opposed to a BA “policy”.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Speedbird1994
    Participant

I believe it is to stop the passengers taking the champagne of the flight, as happened on a CE flight to Rome a few year’s back when two passengers asked the crew for some bottles to take as presents for family…

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=987116][/postquote]

I think you’re right. Years back (early 90’s) they had bottles of Floris smellies in the F loos. It must have dawned on them that they were disappearing inflight, as they started removing the tops from the bottles on departure and replacing them after arrival!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I don’t know about today …

But when I took many SAS flights years ago when SAS had huge business class loads (90% depending on the time and day of the week) the flight attendant would sometimes hand over several small bottles of unopened liguor to passengers who promptly stowed them in their hand luggage (for consumption on another occasion).

It was looked upon a perk for flying SAS business class and especially when returning to Scandinavia.

Derek1948
    Participant

We were on an early morning flight to Glasgow in December and were offered champagne but declined due to the early hour. So the very pleasant cabin crew member said ‘here’s two bottles for later in the day’. Obviously varies from crew to crew.

capetonianm
    Participant

SAA used to do that too. Because I hardly ever drank in flight, they would sometimes ask if I wanted to take a bottle with me.
    I once ordered some wine from duty free and they didn’t have it stock and would I like an alternative….. I declined, and the steward came back 5 minutes later with two excellent bottles from F, Simonsig Tiara I think.

esselle
    Participant

You’re right AMcW!

I used to regularly fly MAN to CPH and OSL in the 90’s and they did hand it out freely. Sadly I always seemed to get Gammeldansk. It is a very aquired taste, which I did not acquire!!

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls