BA Breakfast Box!!…Really!!!???

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 142 total)

• BeckyBoop
    Participant

All airline cooked breakfast is just minging, unless its cooked fresh. Sadly BA don’t know how to cook bacon or warm rolls. The bacon is always dried out and very fatty and the rolls are rock solid from over heating. I usually stick to a continental breakfast (croissants, muffins, smoothies, fresh fruits) on board if hungry but usually i miss it as i am still a bit groggy and usually very grouchy and stick with a coffee 😉

VK /Hippo, dont WPT pax get the CW meals on all flights?

CityRiskBoy
    Participant

Unfort for me my route that I take every 8 weeks is only offered by BA, VS or AA…….Seeing as AA are a big no no and VS have been going downhill for years….BA is my only option unless I take 2/3 connecting flights.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

Be thankful for what you got. I was in WTP Barbados-London end last year and this was more than appalling. I wrote to them when I got back. To give you an indication of the vile slop that was presented to me here is a clip from my letter which will more then set the scene : “Your breakfast ‘box’ was simply a disgrace. Surely WTP clients are worthy of more than a small cheese roll, but not just a normal roll, picture an 8 slice pack of processed cheese cut into quarters and then each doorstop quarter hastily shoved into a small sweet bun – it was not appealing to the eye or taste. Economy class breakfast on other carriers was better than this 10 years ago, what is happening here?The only thing it added to the flight was comedy value.”………. I got 15,000 avios for my suffering, so they know they have an issue with this.

CityRiskBoy
    Participant

It is bad you are right….Id expect more from a carrier like BA.

seanyjmuclhr
    Participant

Fox poo, LOL! Looks like a miserly piece of granola bar to me. Still naff, though.

Vertrek
    Participant

Lol…. Someone need to re-read his/her bias post.

At least in AF I was served proper breakfast in a tray and sat in a much nicer seat.

VintageKrug
    Participant

While the PV seat from Air France looks nicer than the older WT+ iteration, I can’t say my experience of the food is particularly good on AF.

This photo would bear that out:

http://www.jaunted.com/travel-photos/full/190/Air+France+Premium+Voyageur#5

….same as economy, whereas on BA at least you get the Club World main course.

CityBoy you should always check the pricing on AA in Business Class; it’s often not much more than WT+ and though there are many downsides, the seat is bigger and the food good.

CityRiskBoy
    Participant

I will in future just to see what the price is like…..I have heard the food on AF to be awful also……..every review I read about AF on skytrax people are moaning about the food and service

Danwolf
    Participant

Haven’t flown in WT+ in a while since they’ve ‘upgraded’ the food to CW food, so can’t comment (albeit if its the mains from the CW cabin, perhaps I can).

I guess it’s all relative really, In terms of food, in WT & WT+ my opinion is: you get what you pay for. You are paying for a seat (or a seat+) and something that you can eat, and you will live after consuming it.

In terms of CW food, I will agree that price vs product isn’ t as matched as we would expect/want it to be (I recall my rubbery, 1/2 green 1/2 yellow-ish eggs given to me on my last outbound CW flight). My thought is: if you can’t get eggs to taste right on a plane, find a suitable alternative for a breakfast.

Saying that, I’ve taken to just eating breakfast in the lounge, to maximise my sleep time on the flight.

Any time I see a forum post on poor food, I recall an Air China flight I took recently from Beijing to Shanghai, in which they served what has to be the most appalling rubbery egg on a plastic muffin in Y class. There is always an airline with worse food.

GCH can use the Arrivals lounge if flying WT/WT+ at LHR, not silver.

Had the chance to try the AA arrivals lounge last month, actually thought the breakfast was much nicer than the BA T5 arrivals lounge.

CityRiskBoy
    Participant

I can understand what you are saying….but BA is one of the worlds most recognised airline…they bang on about corporate image and standards and how they set themselves apart from their rivals but with this particular subject…its like they have taken the cheapest and easiest way out.

I do believe you get what you pay for….but i think even payng for the WTP seat cant be justified….its no different to an economy seat apart from a few inches more leg room…..they shoudnt advertise it as an enhanced service when its just not……its a rich mans economy class over a poor mans business class.

Vertrek
    Participant

The good thing about AF is that you can order the “a la carte” which cost not more than €30. Beside comparing 2 economy class meal, AF food is better that BA, trust me I’ve been there ad experience both airlines. Furthermore, I found the “a la carte” food to be of a good or high quality.

AF catering is one of the best in the world especially in Business. Looking at WTP “business class food” in the review, sorry, but it doesn’t look like a business class food at all.

SkyTrax only publish what they want to publish. Never trust the reviewer as anyone can lie and post something there.

Safe travel

CXDiamond
    Participant

I don’t understand why a C main course in Y+ on BA would be a selling point, it’s still barely edible. The breakfast box looks disgusting and ought to carry a health warning.

On the odd occasions I’ve ever flown AF the food outstrips BA by a huge margin and while at one time the attitude of the crew to anyone English left a lot to be desired, those days are in the main over. Crew on BA are much more of a lottery.

rferguson
    Participant

Just to address a couple points:

Cityriskboy: The BA website says “You can look forward to a three-course meal for breakfast, lunch or dinner, depending on your flight time”……every international flight I have had in WTP….I have never had a 3 course breakfast….so I think that needs re-phrasing!!!!
    – This is referring to the primary meal served on-board. Although in fairness it doesn’t make this clear. If you are on a long-haul flight departing before 09:59 you will be served breakfast as the first meal. This will be a three course meal of starter (fruit), main course (from Club) and a yoghurt and (cold) pastries.

Beckyboop: VK /Hippo, dont WPT pax get the CW meals on all flights?
    – yes, for the primary meal.

Cityriskboy: Anyone agree with me that the BA breakfast they offer you after a lengthy international flight is dire!
    A yakult….a naf muffin, water and some round crusty little ball that looks like a fox poo!!!
    – the breakfast ‘box’ is not actually the most barebones breakfast served in WTP actually…believe it or not! On the shorter long haul flights (say up to 8 hours-ish) the ‘breakfast’ is actually a solitary (cold) muffin. On flights between 8 and 10-ish hours its the breakfast box. On flights longer it is a second hot meal (choice of two hots – same as economy).
    The second meal is always the same in both WTP and WT.

Cityriskboy: Im saying that BA would save so much more money and have happier Passengers if they offered something along the lines of warm pastries/crossients etc…..and something like that fits in more around breakfast time than the breakfast box they currently offer.
    – Totally agree. And to be honest with a cabin with a maximum of 40 passengers this logistically wouldn’t be too hard to do at all.

There are currently some product ‘innovation’ trials going on on live flights across a couple of routes (DXB and NRT). Some of the product in the trials include warm bread rolls from a basket being offered in the WTP cabin with the main meal, a hot starter and hot dessert option in Club and a few other things. For example the option to register on a card to be woken up 1.5hr before landing to be served breakfast on a large tray in Club…or a ‘takeaway box’ with tea & coffee at landing -40mins.

Whether it is fair or not unfortunately BA will continue to offer a product as long as passengers don’t complain about it. It also depends on the competition on the route. For example, a long flight from LAX-LHR and you will be served with the breakfast box. Yet take a shorter LHR-BOM flight and the second meal is a hot snack because the passenger profile on that route would not accept cold food as an option on such a flight. The expectation is for two hot meals. It used to be a breakfast box but after significant complaints it was changed.

CityRiskBoy
    Participant

I do get the part that these airlines need to cut cost an still offer an acceptable swift service but I think this breakfast box idea is so poorly thought out….who in their right mind decided on it and what idiot is responsible for filling it with the crap that they do. I don’t think they abe found the right balance in cost cutting and still managing to keep passengers happy and also FA’s in little clearing up and being able to serve up fast before landing.
    Serving warm croissants, toasties or pastries etc is do-able on any route regardless of length

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Rferguson, thanks for confirming the WTP meal choices. The idea of a takeaway box sounds good, especially if you dont have access to the arrivals lounge after landing and coffee in hand while queuing at lengthy immigration halls would be most welcome.

CityRiskBoy which route were you on?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 142 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls