BA Avios booking and Airlink

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• DNAdams
    Participant

Please may I ask for advice on an BA Avios booking using a companion voucher to JNB. I then wish to connect with Airlink to CPT.

I am unable to get the Avios availability to go direct to Cape Town from LHR, however there is via Johannesburg and then Airlink to CPT.

I know that I can only include the BA flight in my companion voucher and not the Airlink flight. Airlink code shares with BA but only when as part of a BA booking so clearly it is better if all flights are in the same booking especially if the connection is missed.

I can’t do this on the BA website so, my question is; does anyone know if I call BA to book the flights will they allow me to include the Airlink connection in the same booking or do I need to book it separately bearing in mind I am using a companion voucher and Avios to JNB only. I will need pay for the Airlink portion (as this is not allowed in the companion voucher)

I know I can call and ask but would really appreciate the insight and advice from the experts here.
    Thank you.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

I’ve never tried this before with an Avios companion voucher. Part of me thinks the BA computer will say no, but it’s worth a shot calling them to ask. You might possibly be surprised.
    Finding Avios availability in premium cabins to places like CPT, SYD isn’t easy and there are stories out there of people booking these at 00:01, 355 days before departure, ie the minute they are released.
    Good luck, it would be interesting to know the outcome.

1 user thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

I have booked LHR to CPT Club World twice using Avios Companion Vouchers. BA will only let you use the vouchers for that part of the journey and you can’t use one ticket on Airlink for the onward portion (unless this has changed since Covid). In fact onward plane was the then BA subsiduary airline, even badged BA – but it made no difference.

As AO1 has written, this is a very popular route and normally you need to be online and logged in exactly at midnight when the seats are released, 350 days in advance (not 355 days) of your outward flight, unless that has changed as well. By 5 minutes past midnight available seats may have gone. That is too soon for booking your return flight – but when the seats are released for this, they will let you add them by phone with the same 241 voucher.

Many years ago, when one always had to book via phone to use 241 vouchers, I booked for LHR to SYD and a very helpful BA adviser actually phoned me on the day the return seats were being released and told me he had blocked two seats for us for the return. Did I still want them? Of course I did and he sorted it all out for me.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

You are absolutely right Ask1945. (Apologies!).
    Your tip on the phone part for booking the return is very well made, a good BA agent can make all the difference here.

ASK1945
    Participant

Another tip from a very experienced 241 user (24 consecutive 241 vouchers used, all for long distance Business Class), when travelling to places requiring an overnight flight back to the UK, such as North America and the Caribbean, there are usually plenty of availability of Business Class seats available going out from the UK, but less for the return back to the UK.

This is because many PAX book World Traveller Plus for the daytime flights from the UK, but Club Class for the overnight return. This saves them Avios. So, wait until your return flights become available and book these as soon as they are released – you should have no difficulty getting Club for the relevant earlier outward flight.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls