BA A350 Business Class observations

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• PP Flyer
    Participant

Have just returned from Dubai on BAs A350. First time flying it, and in Business Class. I thought the product was excellent, a huge improvement for BA, and long overdue. A very comfortable seat, easy to use the controls, loads of storage space, good amount of privacy, and a big TV with improved IFE.

2 things I noticed which needed mentioning were the overhead bins, which are quite high, and some shorter passengers were unable to reach. Also, was travelling with my partner in the middle row, seats 5E and F, quite a bit of distance between us and having to talk loudly to hear each other.

Not so much of an issue this time since was a night flight, but has anyone flown this outbound on the day flights to Dubai or Toronto, and had difficulty in having a conversation between the middle partition?

bluemooner
    Participant

[quote quote=980588]Not so much of an issue this time since was a night flight, but has anyone flown this outbound on the day flights to Dubai or Toronto, and had difficulty in having a conversation between the middle partition?[/quote]

Some would say that was a distinct positive!!

8 users thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Cabin Noise level in A350 and A380 is very low, so easy to converse to someone at next seat (in business class).

I am surprised it was a problem.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

The basic seat shell used on this aircraft is the same type widely used across many airlines so will be a similar problem across the board if talking is what you want to do. This is just the latest version with a door added and upscale trimmings. Privacy is the name of the game here and they have succeeded with this. I would much prefer this than the current set up. Once on board, headphones on so don’t have/ want much of a convo with anyone anyway, especially with MrsBondIPresume! For sociability, World traveller+ will be a far better bet.

cwoodward
    Participant

The enhanced Cathay version of the seat (in use for seven or eight years now) allows the middle seats to be gilded forward (much the same as a car seat) by as I recall 18 inches or so in order to clear the center consul. This allows normal conversation.
    I don’t know the BA seat and perhaps it also has the feature. The control button on the Cathay seat to enable this function is not particularly prominent.

mkcol74
    Participant

[postquote quote=980588][/postquote]

@PP Flyer I was on one of the MAD-LHR crew fam flights. They had been advised by their H&S person that the safest way for them to close the overheads was to walk their hands up the door, pushing it up with one hand while the other comes down to take over once the first hand has reached the limit of reach. I gave it a try and was so much easier.

The other reason you may have had difficulty hearing each other is the lining of the suite is designed to absorb sound to improve flight & sleep experience. It’s similar to what you will find lining the boot of your car (& in some, underneath the bonnet).

w8ster
    Participant

[postquote quote=981134][/postquote]

The only issue I do have with the Cathay seat when you move the seat forward to dine with the person next to you is that the tray table doesn’t move forward to comfortably eat. otherwise been loving the Cathay Business products for years now particularly on the 773 ER.

PP Flyer
    Participant

Thanks for the useful there mkcol74. That would make sense with regards to the thing being designed to absorb sound, since have travelled frequently in J cls on BA in the past, plus EK and QR, and have always managed to communicate with ease with the person sat next to me. The next time I am onboard BA with the new product, I will try and select a window seat and see if I can hear raised talking coming from the middle rows.

Overhead bins, again useful info there, although anyone who is under 5ft 6′, will need to stand on a seat to reach them.

Lastly, this new club suite must be a good work out for the cabin crew, since the aisles are too narrow for trolleys, so during the meals and drinks service, the crew are back and forth probably 10 times more to what they are used to. Didnt impact on the service, although did make it a bit inconsistent in terms of the order in which rows were served.

cwoodward
    Participant

No slim trolleys on BA then just slim CC (I was tempted to write Trolly Dollies but even I know that that’s not PC)

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[quote quote=980588]Also, was travelling with my partner in the middle row, seats 5E and F, quite a bit of distance between us and having to talk loudly to hear each other.
    Not so much of an issue this time since was a night flight, but has anyone flown this outbound on the day flights to Dubai or Toronto, and had difficulty in having a conversation between the middle partition?[/quote]

Gosh, I bet you were popular. A night flight with your partner (from which I presume you spend quite a lot of time with each other when you’re not on an aircraft), and you felt compelled to raise your voices to discuss things you might have discussed somewhere else?

A moment of introspection might be in order here.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls