BA 767 – Club World

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

• Anonymous

fclassflyer
    Participant

Just flew back from Dar es Salaam and BA 767 “Ancient Club World”. The seats were incredibly uncomfortable and the interior fit out was distinctly tatty. Single bathroom for the entire cabin did not help.

Additionally breakfast was served an hour after take off and then nothing but stale sandwiches an hour before landing. Pretty poor for a 9 hour flight.

I contrast this with the higher quality alternatives into Dar such as EK (suites), Turkish (new A330) and LX (new A330).

Does anybody know how long we will have to endure these 767’s and are there any plans to upgrade them to NCW or will they simply be phased out with the existing CW cabin.

Flyboy18
    Participant

Hope this may help…..about 7 or 8 of the 767 will be retro fitted, with what im not sure…

As crew on this aircraft we have not been told how…the rumours are recovered ” ancient club ” seats or club seating like the LCY – JFK route. The New club seats we have on all long haul aircraft do not fit into the width of the 767 so that will not happen. new larger lockers, toilet refit and new WTP/WT seating is the rumour too.

The catering is an issue on this route but it has never changed and doubt it will because there is little competition on the route from LHR.

The refits are to start sometime during the summer.

TominScotland
    Participant

The poor quality on offer on this CW route is probably because most illustrious members of this Forum (and those who shout loudest for BA) do not fly DAR – LHR …….

theworldtraveller
    Participant

Heard that all the 767 fleet will be totally refitted in November/December, with the same seating that is on the new 777-300(ie NCW).

New Club catering will start in the next few months as well, so there should be a massive improvement by the end of the year – about time!

alwaysreadytofly
    Participant

indeed, same is tru for Entebbe (EBB). Terrible cabin, seats, food and overall product. all all for 3 to 4,000 USD a seat.

All my friends use EK now. They too are trying to get my business with some fab offers.

Maybe it is worth moving.

VintageKrug
    Participant

The 767 fleet is having a full and thorough interior refurbish later this year; though the shorthaul aircraft are to be avoided if possible until then, the longhaul variants are, in my recent experience, not too shabby at all.

The improved catering is also expected during May (so not long to go..!).

If you’re flying longhaul for business, a direct flight is always preferable to having to change aircraft.

sparkyflier
    Participant

I have flown the 767s a few times and to be honest they are my favourite BA aircraft! OK so they need a bit of modernising, but in Club World you havethe 2-2-2 seating, so everyone has a window or aisle, and in economy 2-3-2 seating, which is as good as you can get. The legroom in Y is better than the rest as well, although unofficially.I reckon it is 32/33″.
    When they are modernised hope they do not change the footprint of the seating.

Oh, and last time flew the entertainment was far better than the 777s had been on!

Improvements in catering are very long overdue, but apart from that, long live the BA 767!!

fclassflyer
    Participant

Good to hear that both catering and planes are due for an imminent upgrade.

VK – you are right that direct is always preferable and this has been my defence for a long time. However when I arrive in Dar without having had a good nights sleep and after having endured a long wait for the bathroom – a la economy – I began to question this line of thought.

I look forward to the refurbished seats as unlike sparkflyer, I can’t say that I will miss the hard seats, miniscule TV’s and the fans that separate the two seats.

ad2123234
    Participant

I believe that A318 Club World LCY seats will go into the refurbished 767s.

I think the 2-2-2 Club World configuration and guaranteed AVOD is the great thing about 767s, and also forward facing window seats in the “A” seats.

Stowage222
    Participant

fclassflyer – if you head forwards of door 2 r?ght you’ll f?nd another to?let for CW pax on th?s a?rcraft. Some WT+ pax m?ght share ?t but ?t’s a CW fac?l?ty.

NewBAexec
    Participant

On a recent trip from LGW, I was chatting to the cabin crew and according to them some 767’s, maybe two, with new interiors will be moved to LGW to operate some routes. They said the management is looking into it as it would be beneficial for some of the routes they do or will do out of LGW.

barnacles
    Participant

Little changes here! I wrote as follows to Willie Walsh in 2009; “I recently travelled with British Airways to Dar Es Salaam and back, in Club Class. Would you be good enough to pass the following observations on to your catering gurus, for their comments, please?

Breakfast on the way out was, as always with BA, disappointing, in that the ratio of healthy food (e.g. the fruit plate) to unhealthy (e.g. the cooked breakfast options) was disappointingly low, and there is not enough food on the former.

Could your staff be encouraged to be more pro-active when it comes to offering passengers second helpings? As I understand it you throw large quantities of perfectly edible food away after lots of flights, yet in my many J class trips round the world I have rarely been offered either second helpings, or a second choice from the menu once I’ve eaten my first.

I think on long day sectors (CPT is another) you should provide more food. From DAR the only proper meal offered is brunch (with over-cooked eggs and omelette, and over-chilled chicken, as ever in Club), soon after take-off, during a scheduled ten and a quarter hour flight. You do provide the ‘Club Kitchen’, but frankly it has little of nutritional value in it.

On flights with no First, would you give consideration to installing an espresso machine in the Club galley?”

From memory no sensible reply was forthcoming . . .

Delsurrey
    Participant

Barnacles, based on my experiences the response you would have received from BA would probably have gone along the lines of “Dear Mr…. we were sorry to hear about the problems you experienced with your luggage on your recent flight, please accept our apologies and have 10,000 BA miles and our assurance we will take action to rectify the matter.

I jest of course but BA’s computerised complaints response system is awful!

VintageKrug
    Participant

That’s odd as my experience using the online form has been very good. Either a written response within a few weeks (though up to the stated 28 days SLA during the Ash Cloud) or a phone call addressing the matter next day, with an appropriate “bung” which kept me happy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls