BA 001 LYC

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

• JonathanM8
    Participant

As others have said, LCY duty free is small and has only limited selection. It is also more expensive than LHR – at least that’s the case for fragrances. However, as others have said its probably your only option on outbound sector. Presumably you are returning, so you do have the option of JFK. And also depending on what you want, ordinary US prices will be cheaper than in UK/Eire.

SGJNI1961
    Participant

Thank you one and all for your time and knowledge. I may attempt a trip report if only to tell you all if it is as disappointing as some of you seem to think it will be. Regular CW is reasonably “hit and miss” in my limited experience although coming home from DXB in Dec we had a really good crew and the daylight flight was a joy, ( although my recollection is clouded by far too much Taittinger), but this is never guaranteed on any BA flight. The last time I did on of these “anorak” flights, it was Concorde BA002 and that worked out just fine even if the stretch limo for one was a little over the top! Young and silly then.
    papillion53, thanks for the recommendation, I’m tempted!

Quick question: is pre-clearance at Shannon on BA1 guaranteed for all EU passport holders?

SGJNI1961
    Participant

I’m not quite sure what you mean by “guaranteed”? It’s the usual Irish USA pre-clearance, only available now on BA001 but open to almost all pax ex Dub and SSN. I’ve never had the experience at SNN but it works a treat in DUB. However, if you are going to be refused at JFK, I think you will also be refused in SNN.

Hello SGJNI1961

It’s just that on the BA website only US and UK passengers are specified:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/cwlcshannon/public/en_gb

And even though I will be travelling with an Irish passport I have never used pre-clearance.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Alex

Pre-clearance is not guaranteed, as it is at the discretion of the immigration officer to admit an alien (and you enter the US in Ireland.)

Even an ESTA (for flights without pre-clearance) does not guarantee entry, it just lets you board the plane to the States.

Good morning/afternoon/evening FDoS

It’s a major selling point, and I don’t know why I haven’t done it before with Aer Lingus from Brussels or Paris 🙂

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

I’ve done a DUB-BOS, pre-cleared and it is fab.

Front load the clearance formalities and do a domestic arrival – magic.

SGJNI1961
    Participant

I believe that all the usual rules apply in DUB and SNN so, if you have an acceptable passport, it will be approved in either as if you were waiting 90+ mins at JFK (except it will only take 10 mins or less)! I just hope the flight experience is worth the benefit, some posters seem to think that the flight itself is not up to par. Personally, I think 32 seats on an A318 is a bit of an adventure. We’ll see.
    Thank you again to all of you who took an interest.

Oh, and sorry for the title mistake, I do know it’s LCY really. Anyone done the train from NYC to WAS? Is it worth the upgrade to 1st??? Want to do a day return and fond as I am of trains, 6 hours or more seems a bit much in coach.

We will see SGJNI1961. Today I made an avios booking on BA1.

We can then compare notes!

SGJNI1961
    Participant

Oh that is wonderful! I will have to be brave and post a trip report now. I also made a redemption booking, as has a friend of mine on BA001 for the same trip. I am curious as to why this “business” flight is available so easily for avios redemption flights. My friend is of the opinion that it is usually a very light load and might not be around much longer. Oh, “my friend” is not a euphemism for VK, who I think gets quite a bit of stick for putting his side of things although we “all” accept that BA are not perfect.
    My flight is early July and I will report back.

I’m most excited about the stop at SNN. I wonder if I will be able to have a quick puff!

My flight is in 5 weeks…don’t expect an epic review!!!

VintageKrug
    Participant

There are some very good CWLCY deals exDUB at present:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/home/public/en_ie

VK

I discovered that if I flew from Luxembourg in Club Europe to Heathrow and made my way to LCY for the BA3, the amount of avios required would be less. I didn’t fancy a mad dash across London, and as BA3 does not have pre-clearance…

Instead, I will fly to Gatwick on the previous day.

VintageKrug
    Participant

A wise decision.

Be aware of the likelihood of extreme weather (at least an inch of snow and a slight chill in the air…) which will cause disruption next week.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls