Avios based on spend

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

Like many of you I presume, I received an email from BA titled “Changing the way you collect Avios”. So we’ll make between 6 and 9 Avios per GBP spent. Is it a good deal? Given the current high fares, I am under the impression I won’t be harmed too much. Did I miss something? What’s about you?

Montysaurus
    Participant

Look at an e-ticket receipt and deduct external charges and taxes and what’s left is the figure on which Avios will be awarded. In my case, never having fully flexible tickets, my Avios awards will be reduced by up to 50%. Head for Points covers the issue well.

ASK1945
    Participant

There is a thread about this already, in the News section of this website – page 2 (Tuesday)

Swissdiver
    Participant

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/british-airways-avios-changes contains a couple of examples, which tend to confirm my initial impression: long-haul in premium cabin should deliver more Avios, while inexpensive short-haul, less.

nevereconomy
    Participant

BA always kept track of your spend – even the crew on your flight could see something that reflected it. Surprised they took so long to tie Avios to it.

FDOS
    Participant

This has been a trend globally, for a few years now. I imagine BA took some time to implement, due to joining up IT systems.

It will be interesting to see what impact this has on the attractiveness of the BAEC and also if negative, whether it has an effect on the business, when the changes feed through.

WIll BA go the whole way and link tier points to spend?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Yes, Star Alliance bought this in some time ago, but it is two tier. Miles towards loyalty work as they did before, but miles for free flights / upgrades are based on spend, class of travel and status.

Mathias_K
    Participant

Does anyone have further insight into the following: BA states that “As a Gold Member, you’ll collect 100% more Avios whenever you fly with British Airways.” (BA website & email communication). How does that work for you?

I haven’t received those 100% more Avios on any booking over the past few years.

lostantipod
    Participant

So full fare business class pax will rake in the avios and status from this new method, but it wont change their buying behaviour: theyre travelling in J anyway.
    But in my old job of flying to europe 20x a year on the cheapest economy fare classes – I would now perhaps never make Silver let alone earn enough avios to be interesting. I reckon i would make more avios out of current credit card sign up bonuses. Crazy !
    For less regular european travellers – more encouragement to buy on price from any airline, as collecting the points is less likely to influence the decision.

I fail to see how this move encourages loyalty to BA, or drives revenue. Maybe BA found that people with middling avios balances would more often trade them in cash+avios purchases, including holidays. Perhaps BA found they can screw a few extra pounds out of customers by the sleight-of-hand of letting them think theyre making a hard cash saving by using “free” avios they have earned to offset the purchase price of their next trip….? And with their latest avios method, more of us will have middling balances…

It will, in addition, reduce their lounge costs….so a win for the BA bean counters here, not sure who else (disclaimer: i was one, but not at BA!)

CheerUp
    Participant

I don’t think Tier points are in any way affected by these changes?
    Not that I’ve read anyway.

Ian
    Participant

No changes to Tier Point accrual for now. In fact BA are currently making this easier for (largely leisure) travellers as they have extended the double TP offer until the end of 2024.

Ian
    Participant

I think there’s not a straightforward or separate uplift of Avios (is there a ‘base award’ difference, I wonder?).

However, using the calculator at https://www.britishairways.com/travel/flight-calculator/execclub/_gf/en_gb you can see the different amounts due.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls