Australia to drop 100ml liquids in carry-on rule

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

Good news – the Australian Government says ïn mid-2013 it will remove the “liquids in carry-on have to be in a plastic bag and no more than 100ml in each bottle” rule for international flights departing Australian ports.

This follows the successful trial of new scanners which can tell the difference between a bottle of water and bottle of explosive liquid.

“Liquid, aerosol and gel restrictions for hand luggage of overseas travellers will be lifted from all Australian airports in 2013, but laptops and tablets will still need to be hauled out of your bag.

“Sophisticated new security equipment being installed at international airports around Australia and capable of detecting liquid explosives means the current 100ml restrictions — introduced in 2006 after a plot to detonate liquid explosives on flights from the UK — will no longer be necessary.

“According to a Commonwealth Government statement issued by the Department of Infrastructure and Transport, passengers will once again be able to carry bottles of water, more sizeable cosmetics as well as wine, spirits, perfume and other toiletries without fear of them being pulled from your luggage and tossed into a bin behind the security scanning stations.

“But it’s not all roses for the business travel brigade: laptops and tablets will still need to be removed from your carry-on bag and placed in a tray for individual scanning.

“The new system will apply only for travellers flying out of Australia — inbound passengers will still need to observe the 100ml limit.

“The Government is hopeful of that changing, saying that trials of the new technology were conducted “in cooperation with authorities from both the US and Great Britain” and that “the Government continues to work within the international community to achieve further relaxations”.

Binman62
    Participant

Great news but I fear if not implemented globally will simply add to the confusion and inconsistencies that are already rife at security around the world.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Wonderful news, Australia is leading the way, let’s hope the EU catches up very quickly and my travel will become less hassled than for years!

Hi – the latest we have on this is that the EU has set a framework for liquids screening equipment to be rolled out at all EU airports by April 29, 2013.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/uk-to-delay-easing-of-liquids-in-hand-luggage-r

I don’t think there has been an update for sometime though, so we’ll see if we can find out more.

PerthWA
    Participant

NOT good news unless you have a non stop flight somewhere which is unusual to anywhere out of Australia! So what’s the point?
    The rules in Australia are already inconsistent (and confusing!) with the rest of the world… You can happily carry as much liquid as you like on domestic services, you can happily knit your way around Australia and out of Australia but no where else.
    If this happens in isolation I can see myself doing my usual of hurriedly shoving my my knitting needles into my reclaimed but need to be rechecked bags at lax before continuing on to anywhere else and dumping my favorite water bottle. …

andrew.gill
    Participant

why will it take until 2013?

andrew

superherodave
    Participant

much applauded and hoping the rest of the world follows… although just to say the only reason it is 2013 is this is when apparently they will have scanners capable of detecting explosive liquids…

the current international restrictions that are allowed through the same x-ray machines used for 20 years seem to be based on..

1) explosive liquids are not dangerous if they are in 100ml bottles
    2) you can fit as many as these bottles as possible into a see through bag of 1 litre capacity
    3) terrorists lacking quantity of said bottles of explosive liquids wouldnt think of meeting up after security
    4) terrorists arent allowed to buy an unlimited amount of highly flammable litre bottles of premium spirits (and lighters) in duty free.(tax free)
    5) terrorists thinking of taking sharp items havent thought about smashing the above mentioned bottles and using them as weapons..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls