At long, long, long last… EDI news

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

canucklad
    Participant

They’ve finally arrived………

For those of you flying into EDI, you now have a new way of getting into the city centre as of tomorrow morning……

It’s called “A TRAM”, and its been just a bit of a journey to get to where we are, a proud moment for public transportation in the capital, if not a very,very expensive one.

Which is why they have started off by punishing people who fly . A normal fare from any other stop on the curtailed route is a wonderful £1.50 or £3.50 all day ticket.

BUT………
    Ahhh you’re going to the airport, well for the “Airport Zone” you’ll need to stump up £5 for the privilege. Or if you want to save £2 purchase an open return for £8

Here’s a better idea from me to all of you out there in BT land.
    Use the excellent Airlink Bus service instead, it’s cheaper (£4 or £7) and it’s just as quick .

So much for encouraging us to use public transport and in particular Scotland’s disgrace that’s eventually come good!

And here’s a proper tip top tip if you really despise being ripped off…… Take the Lothian Bus no. 35 if you’re not in a rush, takes a wee bit longer but does go to RBS headquarters and Holyrood (1 hour) and obviously Princes Street . They are the best public transport buses I’ve travelled on in the whole of the UK, and actually comparable to other cities abroad I’ve visited.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

So why should Edinburgh passengers be any different from London passengers… ??

Incidentally, how much does a taxi from city centre to EDI cost?

canucklad
    Participant

Agreed Martyn, if that was indeed the case.

But that’s my point, it’s cheaper albeit with an Octopus card to catch the Piccadilly line from central London out to Heathrow, a journey of an hour or so, rather than the 30 minutes and substantially less distance travelled on the tram.

Now take into account the fare from Osterley & its only £2 or so. If I jump on the tram 1 stop away from the airport its still a £5

So for once Londoners are better off than us mugs up here, and there isn’t a LHR specific charge : )

ZKSmith
    Participant

The express airport bus has also been more expensive. The issue with the trams is that they will be even more expensive, they go a less scenic route in to Edinburgh, aren’t any quicker, don’t have any more seats (all the extra capacity that has been boasted about is standing room), and I’m not even sure the trams will have Wi-Fi initially, which the buses do (if anyone knows differently please correct me).
    I will admit however that being from Edinburgh I’m bitter towards the trams after the years of hell their track construction has been responsible for.

Regarding taxis, cost varies depending on if you go private hire or black cab, and on the time of day, but realistically £20 – £25 from EDI – city centre.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls