Arrival transfer at Milan Malpensa Airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Jeanette
    Participant

Hi, need some advice. I will be travelling to Milan as a female solo traveller. I had originally planned to take the Malpensa Express to Cadorna and then cab to Marriott from there. I decided against it after hearing all the concerns about my safety especially since it will be my first visit to Milan. I am considering taking either an airport taxi or private transfer. Do I need to make prior bookings for such transfers, and if so, which are the companies I should book with? There has been so many online reports of unhappy incidents about unreliability, etc.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I don’t think you’ll have a problem as a solo traveler. My wife has done this many times. However you may find a problem in getting a taxi at Cadorna. They can be few and far between.

If you want a private car, there are two options, in the arrivals hall there is a desk for private limousine services. You go there, book, pay and go.
    Alternatively, and this is what most of us in Lugano do, call Panicucci in advance and book with them. Good, clean and safe cars, with excellent drivers. Emirates use them for their First and Business travelers.

The website is pretty lousy, but you can Google them and the phone number is: +39 0331 250423

Enjoy your stay, Milan is great and if you need some restaurant or shopping tips feel free to ask.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Sanran
    Participant

Hi, in Malpensa you will find taxis without any problem. Fares are fixed for official taxis to city center and, also because of that, drivers will bring you safely and quickly there. Don’t take unofficial ones (like NCC), even though they seem very professional often they lack correct insurance coverage and legally are still in a kind of grey-zone.
    Anyhow I don’t see any problems using Malpensa Express to Cadorna: it has a direct route and usually is well attended, you won’t be alone. Outside Cadorna station you’ll find many taxis too.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Jeanette
    Participant

Thank you both, for your advice and helpful info. It feels better knowing some do’s and dont’s of an unfamiliar place.
    Lugano, it would really help if you can give me some restaurant and shopping tips, if it’s not too much trouble. Thank you!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Hi Jeanette, my wife, Mrs. LP will help you on this one. She’s the expert.

MrsLuganoPirate
    Participant

Hi Jeannette

welcome to Milano! if you travel now, these days of August, you will love it.
    Apply the same basic rules for your safety (no stick selfies, no flashy jewellery, no flashing money around and so on). Do not engage, if they are around, with “vucumpra'” (who will offer you books, handkerchiefs and so on at a bargain price and you will never get rid of them). Milano will be most likely rather empty since all Milanese people will go to the seaside and therefore all the pickpocketers (and vucumpra’) follow them!!

Foodwise my favourite is taking at 11 am an aperitivo “Campari shakerato” (with a touch of gin, just to keep me going a moment!!) at the Camparino Bar in the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele, entrance by the Duomo di Milano. Do not sit down, because they charge a fortune and it is not really worth while, unless you sip it very slowly and observe all the tourists. Look at the decoration and the ceiling. It is a beauty!

I do not know what is open now, but you may have Cracco for excellent food and also the Park Hyatt is good for food (and rest from the crowd & buzz of Milano) Park Hyatt also has a stupendous bar where you can sit for a coffee and some water.

For shopping you are spoilt for choice. Walk in the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele, down towards Piazza San Babila then walk the “Quadrilatero della Moda”, Via Montenapoleone, Via Spiga and the small roads that join these two main walking areas. To rest you also have around there the Four Seasons Hotel, excellent for a coffee and a water or walk marginally further out and go to the stupendous Bulgari Hotel. Check out all the churches, which offer also moments of cool in case of great heat. In Corso Matteotti you have Nobu in the huge Emporio Armani. In all of this area (Duomo to Quadrilatero della Moda) you will find all the large brands which are available all over the world. If you walk from Corso Matteotti towards Via Brera, you will enter the Brera area, which offers shops proposing emerging fashion and old style milanese shops.
    This whole lot should last you for at least 2 days of walking.

Please remember not to take any unauthorised taxis such as Uber, only the official ones.

And also remember to look up all the time, because the palaces are magnificent and so are its decorations. It is, in my humble opinion, the best moment in which to visit this city because it is empty of people and therefore traffic!

Enjoy and let me know if you need anything more.

3 users thanked author for this post.

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

I agree with LP there. I don’t think you’ll have problems as a solo traveller. I travelled to Milan in April for the very first time alone. My flight arrived at MXP way past 11pm and i got to Cardorna way after midnight then took a taxi from there. At Cardona i waited for a taxi for less than 5mins. Didn’t feel unsafe at all even though this being a Monday one would expect it to be very deserted.

You’ll love Milano!! I had an amazing time there and can’t wait to visit the city again. Enjoy.

Jeanette
    Participant

Thank you everyone for taking time to share all the very helpful advice. My first time using this forum and I’m so glad I did. Really appreciate all the advice – you are all just awesome!
    Thank you Mrs P for all the tips – gonna go prepared for sure!
    And thank you LetFlyNow for the words of confidence.
    I’m looking forward to my trip already!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls