are free upgrades a thing of the past?

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

• BeckyBoop
    Participant

Henkel sounds like thats where SQ have been going wrong…no wonder they are struggling…. Its not uncommon for a 5 star hotel to upgrade guests at no extra charge or even comp the whole stay in the right circumstances, seems like rewarding loyalty doesnt count with SQ. x

BARRYGRAHAM
    Participant

I think that best pay to get a free upgrade is not to ask for one. Like others I have been upgraded to first class on AA because of my status and an empty plane. I also had my whole family (6 people at the time) upgrade to BA World Traveler plus (or whatever it’s called) on both the outbound and return trips, in fact I had to turn down one of them because there were none of those special baby seats (having a bad day today – can’t remember their name either) in the plus cabin – actually we ended up having half the family at the front of World Traveler and half at the back of the plus cabin. While I am Platinum with AA I am only blue level with BA – but the agent said that even a blue level with BA is worth more than Platinum with AA – which is scary given that the OneWorld alliiance is supposed to ensure elite treatment across all the member airlines.

RichHI1
    Participant

Historically AA and BA were dismissive of each others FFP’s but since the JV a lot of the BS has stopped. But neither AA Platinum or BA Blue or Silver are elites. That would be BA EC Gold and Aadvantage Executive Platinum.

BARRYGRAHAM
    Participant

Actually Platinum on AA is elite, as is Gold. You are right that Blue on BA is not.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/eliteStatus/main.jsp

Binman62
    Participant

The idea that BA premium cabin were ever protected to ensure their premium status is laughable.
    BA policy was and still is maximisation of revenue. In the early 90’s when operating to TPE SEL MNL CGK etc., it was not uncommon for the flights to be overbooked by 80 down the back and upgrades from M to F were common. I know, I enjoyed such a deals several times having gotten to know their expat airport managers at the time in both Manila and Seoul.
    Equally the last 2 flights of the day to JFK were often overbooked in F with upgrades to Concorde common place.
    It is no different today. Traditional business routes such as HKG MIA and others are frequently s oversold in M class during the holiday season such that mass upgrades from M to J are still common with J class being bumped into F.
    All that has really changed is that BA manage upgrades better, the proactively sell them either at time of booking or when it is clear they will be required nearer the time. These deals are often good value but the price of a WT+ to J or J to F upgrade has nothing whatever to do with taxes as these are the same for all cabins on a flight. Only M class has the lowest APD rate.
    This overbooking and upgrading is one reason for the demise of mileage seats. Here again the loyal frequent flyers are artificially denied the opportunity to book in advance as the policy has shifted to providing upgrades, and often upgrades needed to clear M class over sales rather than any commercial demand in F or J in their own right.
    Only SQ truly protected their premium cabins by
    A. Not overbooking them in the first place, something BA still does to this day in F and J.
    B. Not upgrading to F except in the most exceptional circumstances.
    Neither policy in my mind is sensible. The SQ policy makes little business sense but the BA policy has meant that the whole experience of F and J travel has been devalued. It has led to on board product differentiation through the market segmentation of passengers by the crew.
    “He is a gold card but he was upgraded”
    “she is only a silver card”
    “ they are mere F passengers with no status”
    You see it on every flight as the flit about taking meal orders from passengers in order of importance. Gone are the days when F on BA was truly special.
    And of course this is all before any of their staff get close to a seat, be they crew cling-ons with unofficial cabin upgrades or staff with the status and the right priority to sit in that cabin. You can still spot them. They don’t wear suits, shirts and ties anymore they simply don’t get PJs and wash bags…. .

RichHI1
    Participant

BARRYGRAHAM – 19/03/2012 13:19 GMT
    AAdvantage Platinum is equivalent to BA silver. AA executive Platinum equates to BA EC Gold. The lower levels have some benefits but they are not really elite. To be fair, you are probablr correct that BA and AA may refer to intermediate levels as elite but in terms of benefits they are limited.

FRANCESCABARNES
    Participant

I think the norm is a big yes….but my soon booked premium economy for a birthday trip to JFK and had their break made by being bumped up to Business….thought we had treated them…..but I guess the flight was overflowing and their luck was in.

Papillion53
    Participant

No not in my DH experience this week. Was booked WT (company policy for first 4 flights in a year – bit daft really as only works once as its a rolling year!)

Anyway was upgraded FOC to WTplus, without asking on return sector IAH to LHR. Flight was nearly empty in WT, WTplus. Had whole row to himself, no one in front of him, so better than the trip out which was inWT and full.

As he’s now completed his four flights, back to C for him – and of course F when wifie treats him to his BIG birthday trip later this year! Lucky boy! 😉

BARRYGRAHAM
    Participant

Indeed Platinum is Elite – I am very satisfied with my Platinum benefits which are very much not limited.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Due to our early morning Swiss flight from LCY being cancelled due to fog yesterday, we were put on the 1215 to ZRH. Not a problem as Swiss notified us at 5am so we could lie in and take it easy.

The onward section from ZRH to Lugano as a consequence was very full and they needed a volunteer to take the next flight in return for chf 306 and free use of the business lounge. No-one volunteered but mrs. LP, always with an eye for the pennies, agreed.

As a result me and the kids were all upgraded to Business so I guess when they have to they will upgrade for free.

RichHI1
    Participant

Barrygraham, glad you enjoy your platinum status. I was just clarifying the levels as many posters think Gold on AA is Gold on BA.
    Safe travels

BARRYGRAHAM
    Participant

Thanks – I agree with you that Gold on BA is much better than Gold (and Platinum) on AA.

RichHI1
    Participant

There is anworrying trend that 1W carriers are coming up with ways to deny benefits to other carriers. BA offer Concorde Room to special custOmers thay select and AA offer US flagship check in and other premium Services to only Concierge Key members like UA’s Global Services which are primarily contollers of corporate travel budgets and CEO’s . Both of which have started to devalue elite membership.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls