Archive timetables:

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• transtraxman
    Participant

!961 schedule using Viscount aircraft. Note the imbalance with 60 flights weekly LON-MAN, while 61 flights weekly MAN-LON. Why I ask?
    “Archive: BEA London – Manchester 3Q1961 schedules”, (Routes Online 3-10-20)

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/294155/archive-bea-london-manchester-3q1961-schedules/

– – – – – – – – – – – – –

This looks much more interesting as it mixes destinations and carriers.The first summer season for the B707.Some DC7s are also in there.
    It seems that American Airlines, United Airlines are represented but also North West and TWA. Note that the airport in New York is Idlewild before it became JFK in 1963.
    “Archive: Summer 1959 Boston / New York non-stop West Coast schedule”, (Routes Online 3-10-20)

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/294154/archive-summer-1959-boston-new-york-nonstop-west-coast-schedule/

1 user thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

If nostalgia it is, have a look at http://www.sr692.com!

2 users thanked author for this post.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Have a copy of BEA Winter 1968/69 timetable for British Isles. Really is a nostalgic document as many of the services no longer operated by BA.

Can read like a train timetable in parts where BHX, MAN, GLA, EDI, ABZ and INV grouped together with helpful arrows between the columns. LHR-GLA operated by Trident, Vanguard and Comet. Also shows Highlands and Islands services and helicopter between Penzance and Isles of Scilly.

There was even First on some of the flights and something called a Tourist Night flight, an example LHR d 2350 arr GLA 0110!

canucklad
    Participant

Nice trip now memory lane transtraxman
    It’s incredible what you’ll find hidden away in boxes and cupboards and attics and long forgotten hideaways ….

Whilst clearing the family home after my mum died , I bumped into my past . A box of what most people would classify as old TAT , including my sister.
    To me, it brought back instant memories of years of randomly picking up pamphlets / timetables and general airline guff during my adventures wandering airport terminals easing a boys boredom whilst waiting for flights.

That collection was a lament to the days when the journey was an integral part of the adventure, rather than a now needed inconvenience to get you to your destination.

Dominated by CP Air timetables, brochures and other quirky stuff, I came across many other glossy, picture laden pieces of paper. Including ……

Western Airlines Spacemaster DC10 service launch from YVR to HNL
    Northwest Orient booklet about their Far East services
    Aloha & Hawaiian inter island quick connection guides and advertising from both as to why their respective 737 /DC9 was better
    Bundles more of airlines long gone and much loved aircraft now long retired

My visits to Schiphol always proved to be good hunting , and I’m sure that’s where I collected possibly now the most treasured (kept them)
    My separate BA and Air France timetables advertising ease of connection to their new Concorde services —
    Very sleek and clearly aimed at a specific demographic. — Definitely not a snotty brash (but polite) little terror heading neither to Rio or Bahrain !!

Next time I visit my sister back in Vancouver I might just have another trip through memory lane !!

3 users thanked author for this post.

Bullfrog
    Participant

‘Western Airlines’ .. I remember taking them from LAX to HNL, and during the economy service they served a fruit punch from a volcano structure which was on a trolley.

Memories !

1 user thanked author for this post.

transtraxman
    Participant

Great stuff Canucklad #1012836.

If you have kept memorabilia of your travels you might not realise it but you might have a gold mine.

When I was a youngster I had a hobby of collecting timetables – in those days the hobby was mostly restricted to bus/coach and train. Well to cut the long story short over the years and after many house moves a lot of my collections were distributed elsewhere (i.e. lost to me). I did have a remnant of something so tried to find the missing pieces on the web. I found one map that I was looking for and the price was extortionate but I paid up anyway.

So I achieved my objective but it cost me. No regrets – I knew into what I was getting.
    The point is that if you value your nostalgic possessions keep them and build upon them. If not liquidate them and take advantage of the market and the resulting benefit.

There is a big market out there for nostalgia items.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1012848]If you have kept memorabilia of your travels you might not realise it but you might have a gold mine.[/quote]

Did mention to my sister not to chuck it out as its not junk — suggested if she needed the space to get it on eBay and see what she could get to it.
    It’s a beholder and eyes thing — Airline memorabilia, she’ll recognize as junk, my 2 Wayne Gretzky rookie cards on the other hand ! : )

On the Concorde front, forgot I also seem to remember having a Braniff Concorde timetable leaflet ?

Luxembourger
    Participant

Canucklad, as you rightly say airlines used to give you much more information in your seat pocket than you get now. Flying was strange to most people and there was a lot they didn’t know. Since I know you are interested in all things Canadian Pacific, one of the items I have kept is their in-flight information pack from when we flew as a family from Auckland to Amsterdam via Vancouver in 1963 (I was a young kid at the time). It contains full information on flying in a DC-8 (series 40 then), the ‘Jet-Prop Britannia Empress’ and the ‘Super DC-6B’. It also has a brochure giving details of all their hotels, a route map from Vancouver to Amsterdam and a rather good brochure ‘Fly the new Empresses’ with cutaway displays of the interiors of their DC-8s and Britannias. If you’re interested let me know and I’m sure I can find a way of letting you see it.
    I also have the equivalent for British Eagle Airlines, a couple for British United, one for NAC (NZ National Airlines Corporation) two BOAC brochures called ‘information for staff’ on the 707 and Comet 4, and two large BEA handouts giving details of their new Comet 4Bs and Tridents. Plus other stuff but that will probably do for the moment. I stopped bothering to keep them come the 70s, which is a bit of a shame now. Once again, if anyone has a particular interest in anything let me know and I’m sure there’s a way of scanning/copying etc.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1012867]Since I know you are interested in all things Canadian Pacific, one of the items I have kept is their in-flight information pack from when we flew as a family from Auckland to Amsterdam via Vancouver in 1963 (I was a young kid at the time). It contains full information on flying in a DC-8 (series 40 then), the ‘Jet-Prop Britannia Empress’ and the ‘Super DC-6B’. It also has a brochure giving details of all their hotels, a route map from Vancouver to Amsterdam and a rather good brochure ‘Fly the new Empresses’ with cutaway displays of the interiors of their DC-8s and Britannias. If you’re interested let me know and I’m sure I can find a way of letting you see it.[/quote]

Although before my time : ) it definitely sounds interesting . Absolutely certain I’d have flown on the DC-8 at some point in its CP air service. It might even have been the first ever supersonic airliner . Maybe Alex, Tom and his team can suggest a method of sharing ?
    Anyway Cheers for the offer Luxembourger

DavidSmith2
    Participant

[quote quote=1012836]Whilst clearing the family home after my mum died , I bumped into my past . A box of what most people would classify as old TAT , including my sister.[/quote]

There are two ways of reading that sentence! 🙂

Johnnyg
    Participant

[postquote quote=1013099][/postquote]

That was my first thought as well !!!

Luxembourger
    Participant

Alex, Tom or team, I know there is a way of going ‘behind’ the site so you can communicate directly. Can you say how it is done? Many thanks.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[postquote quote=1013708][/postquote]

London team on https://www.businesstraveller.com/contact-us/. One of them will answer you.

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

Email received Luxembourger, we’ll be in touch.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls