Any tips for LHR T5 please?

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• David
    Participant

Hi. I’m going to be using T5 for the first time in a few weeks flying in Biz with BA to BKK. I’ve avoided them for years but they were cheap this time.

I really don’t find airports easy. I struggle a little with mobility and will be in quite a bit of pain, but I really don’t want to use the wheelchair service.

Any tips to make it through the airport a little easier would be most welcome.
    I’ve worked out I’ll need to check in at the second section from the right of the terminal and fast track is next to it. How about lounges? Any difference as to which one I use? When the gate shows, is there anything I should know about getting from lounge to gate?

Thanks in advance,

FrDougal
    Participant

I’d start by asking which satellite the flight will more than likely be leaving from. If B gates go straight there after security on the train and use the galleries lounge there. It’s smaller and usually much quieter (and in my opinion nicer and cleaner than the main one in A). If your flight is departing from C gates it’s probably easier for you to stay in A and use the galleries lounge there as there is no lounge in C gates.

If you are a bit slow on your feet aim to be at the gate about 50mins before departure and head straight up to the podium, the staff will generally allow you to sit at the preboard seats and you’ll be able to board ahead of the masses!

christ
    Participant

If you use the club check in, it is down the end of the terminal (not right at the end as that is first). There is a fast track both at north and south ends (south being nearer the club check in). However to get to the south lounges, it is a bit of a pain as you go down escalators and walk a little and up a few more escalators. If you check in at the North end, the North fast track land comes out right by the North lounge (smaller lounge but ok if not staying too long).

The flight will most likely be a B or C gate (if you check in and are told it is a B gate for sure at that time, there is a lounge at the B gates but only go if sure……usually it is uncertain until about an hour before). You will need to head near the centre of the terminal (thus makes little difference if use North or South lounges….it is maybe very slightly closer to south) and can get the lift down (far quicker than the endless escalators) and get the train for a few minutes to B or C gates and back up the lift to the gate). Once at B or C terminal, the gates are all very close (less than 5 minutes).

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I would ask at check in or in the lounge whether you could use a buggy transfer from lounge to gate.

David
    Participant

Many thanks for the replies so far. It will be a big help.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

On arriving in the terminal i would ask the first member of staff (host) for assistance in finding the fastest bag drop as you don’t want fo srand for too long. A smilr and a little chit chat will go a long way and you may find the whole proceedings expedited! I would be much more concerned about BKK a d the distances there!

David
    Participant

Thanks.
    BKK is fine as I’ve pre-booked buggy & porter. I do that every time and not too expensive.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls