Antonov A124-100 into HK this morning

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

Not a core subject for this forum but I thought that some would find it of interest

It was good to watch an A214 heavy lifter into Hongkong this morning.
    After the reports a few months back that their base in Ukraine and the aircraft had been destroyed I feared that we would not see any of these iconic giants again.
    This chap came in from Poland at 8.00AM this morning local and is apparently being used to ferry heavy equipment back to assist in the defence of Ukraine. I suspect its possibly on its way down Australia.

Woops! They just had a failed approach and are going around. All good on second attempt.

Johnnyg
    Participant

All Antonov 124’s have been relocated to Leipzig for the duration.

Antonov Airlines Temporarily Moves Base to Leipzig

1 user thanked author for this post.

Kjell
    Participant

The aircraft destroyed was the bigger brother, AN-225, there are still a bunch of 124s flying.

But an additional comment: The government of Ukraine has asked plane-spotters not to report if they see Ukrainian aircraft carrying what might be equipment to fight the war in Ukraine.

3 users thanked author for this post.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Well, if it came into HK I think we can be fairly confident it isn’t taking military materiel into Ukraine. Not the bits that the Ukrainian government still controls, anyway.

cwoodward
    Participant

I don’t believe that you should assume that Ian given that HK was a one way transit.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1218786]

Well, with Russia and the PRC being BBFs at the moment it would seem surprising if Ukrainian-bound (in the sense of “for the benefit of the Ukrainian forces”) materiel was transiting through HK. But then I like nice surprises!

cwoodward
    Participant

I guess that we will never know Ian but I don’t believe that there is any sort of official ban on this sort of freight transiting HK particularly as there have been over the weeks ad hock freighters from eastern European airlines that I have never before seen through here (39 ya 747-2 on Tuesday) that have been bound for Poland and the like. Equally of course they could be delivering ultimately to Russia in the absence of Russian aircraft into HKG.
    China -Russia BBFs not at all sure about that other than superficially.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls