Another Shocker at Manchester Airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• tonywells1961
    Participant

Unfortunately I have to use Manchester Airport most weeks so have come to expect poor service, long waits for security, luggage collection and an array of excuses for shocking ground handling services.

However, yesterday saw a new low as my wife had to accompany her sick mother back from her holiday. She had requested assistance at both the source airport (Funchal) and the destination airport (Manchester). The service at Funchal was superb and made the passage through the airport nice and smooth.

On arrival at Manchester there were 3 passengers on the flight that required assistance and they had to wait over an hour for this assistance to arrive and then they had no wheelchairs. Eventually they managed to find a wheelchair so they were shown to a lift and then left on their own to find their own way.

Talking to crews of different airlines, the view seems to be that assistance services at Manchester are significantly worse than any other airport and it causes huge frustration to passengers and crew alike.

I know that there is huge (much needed and long overdue) investment in the infrastructure at the airport, but if they cannot sort out basic issues like these then I don’t believe that passengers will see the real benefits of this investment.

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

There was case recently of a well known journalist, Frank Gardner, who is wheelchair bound and who received similar shocking treatment at LHR twice!

One has to wonder how many people who are not able to put it into the public domain suffer such treatment in silence.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-45103327

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Last year while on holiday in the USA my wife was infected with pneumonia. Once released from hospital we got the fit to fly note but she would need to use wheel chairs at Orlando and Manchester.

On arrival at Manchester there was a wheel chair with assistance waiting at the aircraft door and a gentleman from the assistance providers pushed my wife up the air bridge and then asked was I ok to push from then as he had other passengers to collect.

I didn’t mind and carried on, once at the baggage carousels there was then no sign of assistance, so when our 2 cases arrived I had to manage to wheel cases in one had and a wheelchair in the other and make our way out to the taxis.

It was ridiculous and in my opinion shameful.

SimonS1
    Participant

When it comes to airport dumps you have to go a long way to beat Manchester…..

Ekond222
    Participant

[quote quote=931379]When it comes to airport dumps you have to go a long way to beat Manchester…..[/quote]

…Are you referring to the washroom facilities…or the Airport itself?…

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=931457]

When it comes to airport dumps you have to go a long way to beat Manchester…..

…Are you referring to the washroom facilities…or the Airport itself?…[/quote]

Both are pretty grim. Strategy to invest as little as possible.

esselle
    Participant

Are all the PRM services at MAN provided by a single contractor or do the airlines have a choice as to who they use?

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

I have only ever seen OCS

capetonianm
    Participant

Manchester Airport has been named as the worst for waiting times through security at the UK’s largest airports, following a Which? investigation.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/14/manchester-airport-named-worst-waiting-time-security-finds/

Manchester Airport were quick to dispute the study findings, which it said were based on human estimates with a small sample size. However, Which? said it stood by its research.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls