Another round of rail strikes set for early April

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Some of you will have seen the news a couple of hours ago re the Aslef strikes affecting the TOCs in early April.

Yet the open access operators continue (such as Lumo, Hull Trains and Grand Central) will continue to operate normally.

Why one might ask ?

Well retired rail manager Chris Ogilvy has tweeted “Full service at the open access operators [see above]. Having no government blocks on pay rises in the private sector show what cause/resolution is.”

What is becoming clear is that our government seeks to reduce rail expenditure as much as it can.

As I have explained before all the TOCs are now government-controlled. They must hand over revenue to the government who now pays them a modest management fee.

Of course some TOCs, including LNER, TPE and Scotrail (by Scottish gov’t), are now government-owned so the control is greater.

This has, according to rail experts, led to LNER introducing a new range of fares which are considered little more than a ‘revenue grab’.

It also suggests the many complaints about short-formed trains are government-inspired as a way to cut costs.

On the mainline Sheffield route EMR would normally run two trains an hour.

But service frequency this week is down to one an hour (thanks to engineering works at Dore) yet EMR is still running a 5-car train.

So although capacity is cut by 50% demand has almost doubled.

Yes the government lost the battle to close ticket offices but as I wrote at the time it is doing its utmost to save money in other areas.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/the-tube-underground-strikes-aslef-dates-april-may-easter-holidays-b1146470.html

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Could Avanti be the next TOC to be taken over the government ?

Transport for the North wants Avanti West Coast contract terminated

FDOS
    Participant

I am due to fly out from STN on the morning following day 2 of one set of strike dates and had planned to take the train across (leaving a sensible time buffer).

Now this has been announced, I no longer feel comfortable with the potential knock on effects from the strike and have cancelled and will drive, instead.

Given the vagaries of the M25, I will also stay overnight near Bishops Stortford.

This has incurred extas expenses of £50 (plus fuel etc).

Given the duration of the RMT and now ASLEF strikes, it is time for the Government to govern and resolve the dispute, not to sit on their hands. I don’t wish to make a political point, but what I am seeing is an abdication of responsibility, which affects millions of people, regularly; This strike has incurred extra expenses for me – my business casn easily afford them, but what about people who are struggling to make ends meet with the cost of living and may lose wages through not being able to work?

3 users thanked author for this post.

Amata
    Participant

The disparity in service between open access operators and government-controlled TOCs during strikes highlights governmental influence on rail expenditure and operations.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls