Another Lufthansa ‘warning strike’ this week.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

AMcWhirter
    Participant

In all my many years of reporting I have never known Lufthansa suffer so many industrial disputes by ground staff in short a short space of time.

Lufthansa ground staff again on strike for two and a half days from Wednesday evening, 6 March

It’s only a couple of weeks since Mark reported the last strike.

Strike action to ground up to 90 per cent of Lufthansa flights on Tuesday

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Major transport strikes in Germany today.

And this on the very day when Lufthansa is holding its annual press conference – see Mark’s report on the News page today.

As for Lufthansa it’s reported that up to 200,000 passengers will be affected.

The main hubs at Frankfurt and Munich are almost halted owing to security staff joining the strike action.

DW posted on X/twitter earlier today. But I cannot read its news … maybe there’s strike action here too.

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

A few days ago a friend lamented that travelling in Germany these days is like a lottery game. Wisely said.

Yesterday, Lufthansa’s cabin crew overwhelmingly (over 96%) voted to strike. No one knows when but after the press conference today LH ‘almost’ promised to pay them more. The Austrian ‘strike’ (OS calls them meetings) planned for the 8th of March has been ‘called off’ (apparently no conference room available) after Austrian reported good numbers and employees will get a 25% bonus of sorts.

This is extremely annoying that i’m on the verge of getting a car even though i don’t really need one.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback LetsFlyNow.

Strike action must have escalated as originally it was ground staff only.

Then security staff joined in and, as you noted, so did cabin crew.

Appears to be have been timed to deflect attention from today’s Lufthansa media conference plus the ITB travel show in Berlin most of whose international delegates (they come from all over the world) would arrive by air.

Rferguson2
    Participant

I know its common to have a ‘what happened to BA over the years’? discussion on here but Lufthansa, oh my.

A dire product (nearly all their aircraft 2x2x2 business class seating), poor punctuality, a circus of a roll out of their new Allegris Business Class product and now regular strikes.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The strikes at Lufthansa may continue.

Today (March 9) cabin crew union UFO has called on members to strike on either Tuesday and Wednesday (March 12 or March 13).

This is breaking news by Germany’s DW.

No further info is available right now and there’s no comment yet from Lufthansa.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-lufthansa-faces-fresh-strike-from-different-union/a-68481778

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Just to clarify.

Trade union UFO has called on members to strike either on March 12 or March 13.

It would affect departing flights from Frankfurt on Tuesday and all flights leaving Munich on Wednesday.

The strike on both days would last from 04:00 to 23:00 hrs.

UFO claims 96 per cent of members at Lufthansa mainline and Lufthansa Cityline have voted in favour.

Note that this is breaking news. See the link to DW.com above.

As yet there has been no comment from Lufthansa so changes are possible.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Lufthansa has now issued the following via X/twitter

AMcWhirter
    Participant

After I had posted the above our BBC ran the news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68526298

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

While not specifically at Lufthansa, the trade Union Ver,di has instructed its members across several airports to strike this coming Thursday the 14th March.

Various employees like Security, Cargo, etc will be striking at HAM, BER, STR,, CGN and FKB. Verdi has said that strikes at more airports could be announced last minute.

So if you’re travelling to or from Germany on Friday beware of flight disruptions and check with your airline.

I’ve no words.

cwoodward
    Participant

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Fingers crossed they don’t strike when I have to fly back from JNB with them in about 2 weeks time……………

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Good news this evening (March 27).

Lufthansa / Verdi strike has been settled.

https://www.dw.com/en/lufthansa-verdi-union-reach-deal-for-ground-staff/a-68686569

AMcWhirter
    Participant

After several ‘warning strikes’ trade union UFO has now settled with Lufthansa.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls