Another Cathay Pacific aircraft order

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

While not of direct interest to business travellers yesterday’s report that Cathay had ordered 6 possibly more A350 freighters (possibly partly as fleet renewal) is some indication of the airlines health and ambition.

While the order has yet to be publicly confirmed by the airline it is now being widely reported. Cathay Pacific is one of the world’s leading air freight carriers and this order is significant in the competition between Airbus and Boeing for freighter aircraft business and a great shot in the arm for Airbusses ambitions for the A350F model against the direct Boeing competitors.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Crikey – you’re be telling us what Ronald Lam had for breakfast next.

Rather hear about expansion of airlines like Arajet (which aims longterm to compete with Copa on S to N America and vv) than a freighter order for CX.

5 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

If you believe that your suggestions are interesting to readers why not post about them ?

CheerUp
    Participant

{what Ronald Lam had for breakfast}

Congee would be my guess.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MrDarwin
    Participant

Very useful info for when I need to post myself to Hong Kong as freight for my next meeting there.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Ekond222
    Participant

…Oh that’s what some passengers refer to ‘I’m travelling in freight’…and from 2024….you may have access to a Cathay Arrivals lounge…

christ
    Participant

Hopefully their freight website booking is better than passenger! 😀

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Cathay Cargo confirmed today its selection of the next-generation Airbus A350F freighter to meet its future fleet requirements. Cathay has placed an initial firm order with Airbus for six aircraft and has secured the right to acquire 20 more aircraft.

cwoodward
    Participant

From Bloomberg with some more detail _

“(Bloomberg) — Airbus SE edged out Boeing Co. in a closely-fought sales campaign to sell freighter aircraft to Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd.

The Hong Kong carrier will buy six A350 freighters and secured the rights to a further 20 of the cargo jets, it said in a statement Friday. Deliveries will start from 2027 and should be completed by the end of 2029.

In a boost to the European planemaker, Cathay, one of the world’s biggest freighter airlines by capacity, opted for the new generation composite plane marking its largest cargo aircraft order in 16 years.

The purchase is worth around $2.7 billion, before customary significant discounts are applied, Cathay said.

“As we move into 2024, our rebuild journey is gaining momentum,” Cathay Chief Executive Officer Ronald Lam said in the statement. “This order marks another major component in our investment for the future.”

Cathay’s preferred pick of Airbus to supply the new freighters comes despite operating an all-Boeing fleet of 20 747 freighters for its core cargo unit.”

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls