Annual Car Hire Excess Insurance

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

This ‘buy the tank and return the car empty’ is a huge scam.
    I have always wanted to do exactly that, as above, but could never be bothered.

A friend got conned into taking that option, returned the car with 3/4 of a tank of fuel, and asked, quite reasonably if he could have some kind of credit, which was refused. Imagine how many times they ‘resell’ what’s left in the tank.

1 user thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=953755]I’ve just had two Avis rentals in SA. As usual they have helped themselves to my money.

I returned the car absolutely full of fuel at DUR. They added £4 for fuel.

I returned another car to CPT and they helped themselves to £309 for “damage”….lying thieving gits! But Amex are brilliant as usual with Avis SA rentals and are fighting Avis…yet again.

Why do I continue using Avis? Better the devil you know!

I sent a protest email to the U.K. ceo Nina Bell and various managers in SA. Needless to say three weeks later I haven’t had a reply or the courtesy of an acknowledgment. Are we surprised? Nah…that’s Avis.[/quote]

I’ve just been renting from Budget (Avis owned) in South Africa, and they do not make a charge for filling the car other than for the petrol. I have full cover using one of two credit cards, Amex and a Platinum Mastercard, and both have settled claims in the past (one with each) without problem. However, I now add Tyre and windscreen cover when I rent. It’s not expensive but just saves an awful lot of hassle if you do have to claim. Luckily I had it this time, as a stone hit the windscreen and made a crack from bottom left to the top right.

2 users thanked author for this post.

GeorgeJ
    Participant

Like others I have excess cover, in my case via my Amex platinum. Never had to use it though Amex/Axa were excellent (fair and efficient) in dealing with medical and cancellation claims we have lodged.
    After some poor experiences elsewhere years ago I have stuck to Avis and Hertz for car hire, I have premium status with both (a combination of volume and the platinum card again). So far I have never had any excess claim despite a couple of occasions where they would have been entitled to have a discussion about the subject. In my view cheap car hire and claims for damage often go together.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=954461]Like others I have excess cover, in my case via my Amex platinum. Never had to use it though Amex/Axa were excellent (fair and efficient) in dealing with medical and cancellation claims we have lodged.

After some poor experiences elsewhere years ago I have stuck to Avis and Hertz for car hire, I have premium status with both (a combination of volume and the platinum card again). So far I have never had any excess claim despite a couple of occasions where they would have been entitled to have a discussion about the subject.

In my view cheap car hire and claims for damage often go together

.[/quote]

……………… but Avis are not “cheap car hire” and a number of contributions on this thread have been about Avis and their add-on “tricks”.

GeorgeJ
    Participant

I can only report as I find and Avis have always been fine with me, the only improper post hire add on was quickly dealt with and rebated.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=954478]I can only report as I find and Avis have always been fine with me, the only improper post hire add on was quickly dealt with and rebated.[/quote]

My own experience with Avis has been frequent small additions unexplained post-hire charges, with no invoice sent on request and then receiving a rebate from Amex, when Avis have not answered the queries from Amex. You are fortunate that Avis “quickly dealt with [it]”.

capetonianm
    Participant

As I mentioned tyre damage in post #953541, I am happy to report that the company concerned – Europcar – has accepted my contention that one of the tyres I had to replace was previously damaged and has agreed to refund me the cost, meaning I will only need to claim on my insurance for one and not both.

This is why I will continue to use EP. They are probably not always the cheapest (admittedly I don’t normally check others) but their service is always good and they have treated me fairly over the years.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls