Amex Platinum Travel Insurance

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Ricardo
    Participant

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone can clarify cover of Amex Platinum Travel Insurance.

I have a Platinum Card and an Amex BA Premium Plus Card. I was of the understanding that I was entitled to all Platinum cover benefits even if I used the Amex BA card to purchase travel (I know that I am not covered if I use a non-Amex card i.e. Visa/MC etc).

In these strange times I thought it worth contacting Amex to confirm, but have received conflicting responses – some say no, some say yes and others have said you get ‘some’ of the cover. I tried reading the t&c’s but they don’t mention Amex BA cards.

Any knowledge, advice or guidance gratefully received!

Stay safe all,
    Ricardo.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

My understanding is you need to use the card to be covered. Even if used just for the deposit, that will count but the Platinum card must be used.
    If you want to be sure you’re covered, I’d use the platinum card and not risk having to claim and then having to fight AMEX to get the necessary compensation/reimbursement.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

In the past I have claimed on Amex insurance for flights bought with visa, but had to explain why I had used visa not Amex. In those cases it was quite simple as, at that time, Monarch and Ryanair did not accept Amex.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

My understanding of the Amex Plat card insurance, is where payment for holidays and flights cant be made on the card, a call to the insurance team will confirm whether cover exists.

When junior was going on trips with friends in 6th form and uni days, often the trip would be arranged by one person and payment would be directly to that person, by cheque. As long as I called in advance to Amex, they never refused cover.

Always call AMEX if you have a concern about cover.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Hello Ricardo – happy to share my experience:

I hold Amex Plat and Amex BA Premium Plus. The two are ‘connected’ in my account, so when I log in online I see both on the Amex website.

I literally never use my Platinum card. The only transaction is the once per annum charge.

All other Amex spend goes on the Premium Plus card. I’ve never had any issues with Amex on this front.

My belief is if the cards are ‘connected’ on your account, you’ll be fine. (Though as Martyn says, it never hurts to check, though you may be hard pressed to get hold of them right now).

Also, you may know this already, hire / rental car insurance benefits via Amex Plat are valid regardless of whichever credit card is used to make the booking. (There is a relatively straightforward online ‘application’ to fill out should you have need to make a claim for hire / rental car matters).

2 users thanked author for this post.

DerekVH
    Participant

Do you have to pay the Annual Fee for both the Platinum and BA Premium Plus cards?

Raffles99
    Participant

The T&C’s doc is downloadable via the Amex website, link on the application page for new Plats.

This is the crux:

* Some ‘small stuff’ only kicks in if you paid with ‘the card’
    * ‘Big stuff’ like medical issues is covered regardless

With regards to ‘the card’ – if you look at the definition of ‘the card’ in the policy, it says something like ‘the Platinum card or any other personal American Express card issued to the cardholder’. Paying on your BA Amex is therefore fine.

The policy document is VERY weak regarding corona, by the way, but Amex has published a document – see https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/04/04/american-express-issues-a-coronavirus-insurance-guide/ explaining what you can expect.

Ricardo
    Participant

Hi AlanOrton
    My ‘experience’ and method is same as yours re seeing BA and Platinum when I log on to Amex website. I am currently trying to claim for a couple of internal South African flights we recently had to cancel (for obvious reasons!). I had used BA Amex to pay for them but initial email response (as you correctly say you can’t actually speak to anyone at present) from Axa was that I was NOT covered. I have replied/confirmed that I am a Platinum Card holder (and sent copies of payment details from BA Amex statement). I am still waiting for response which is why I contacted Amex. As mentioned I have had different responses from Amex but as they don’t actually provide the policy I can understand their possible confusion. We shall see what happens.

Hi DerekVH,
    Yes I pay both annual fees. If it turns out I am NOT covered when using BA Card to pay for travel I shall seriously question my Platinum membership as the BA Companion Voucher is financially worth more to me than the Platinum travel insurance.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ricardo
    Participant

Hi Raffles99,
    Just checked Platinum T&C’s. Here is me of them –

DEFINITIONS Whenever the following words or phrases appear in bold, they will have the meaning as described below:

“£” shall mean United Kingdom pounds sterling.
    “Account” or “Card Account” means your consumer and small business cards issued by American Express in the UK, excluding corporate cards and any American Express cards issued by bank partners
    “American Express” means American Express Services Europe Limited.
    “Card” means any card or other Account access device issued to a Cardmember (or a Supplementary Cardmember) for the purpose of accessing the Account

Also noticed that T&C’s say cover is by Chubb Insurance – but my claim seems to be being handled by Axa?

Now I AM confused…!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=996377]Also noticed that T&C’s say cover is by Chubb Insurance – but my claim seems to be being handled by Axa?[/quote]

Chubb hold the insurance risk & Axa are the firm contracted to handle/manage any claims.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

[postquote quote=996354][/postquote]

Now that is interesting as I pay only for the Plat card, with the BA Prem Plus carrying no additional charge.
    (I had the Plat card prior to signing up for the BA Prem Plus).

Maybe I’ve been a little fortunate and this ‘error’ will get corrected…

Ricardo – I suspect you may have inadvertently confused the Axa operative by not disclosing immediately you have a Plat card. While Amex Plat are normally good to deal with, I can’t say their Axa insurance partners are always so helpful / knowledgeable.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Feel quite sure that under the current circumstances they, like all insurers, will use every (deliberate) vaguary in their T & C to avoid paying out !

Ricardo
    Participant

Hi AlanOrton,
    Keep quiet about your ‘free’ BA Prem Plus card! I too had Platinum before BA card but have never been offered it as FOC.

Spoke to an Amex agent last night – I am booking hotel in December which does not take Amex and asked if I would still get Ins. cover (see earlier reply from FaroFlyer). Amex said in no uncertain terms that “If Amex card not used, no cover”.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=996409]“If Amex card not used, no cover”.[/quote]

That is new, when a supplier wont take an Amex card. I recently flew on a service that did not take the Amex card and in fact involved no payment for the seats. AMEX confirmed my 4 day trip was fully insured for all medical perils, just not the any flight delays, which were never going to be an issue.

Raffles99
    Participant

That’s complete nonsense. The document is clear – if a supplier does not accept Amex then there is no requirement to pay with an Amex to be covered.

The ‘free BAPP if you have Platinum’ offer ended around 2006, by the way, but it has continued for those of us who were on it at the time. It’s handy as it effectively makes my Plat fee £385 which is easier to justify.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls