American Express to Africa

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

TheCount
    Participant

Can anybody tell me why the American Express UK booking engine won’t let one book to Nairobi, Entebbe or Dar es Salaam? I asked them but they won’t say. If the reasons are high card fraud or concerns about security/terrorism, why would they allow booking to Mombasa, Kenya, whose downtown area/North Coast is on the FCO “Essential Travel Only” list, but not to NBO which is not?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I can’t answer your question directly The Count, but we had some friends staying with us in S. Africa last week, and his Amex was declined everywhere. He called them and they told him they automatically block cards for use in many African countries due to fraud, but if they know which countries you will be visiting, they will unblock it.

Hope that’s of some help.

TheCount
    Participant

Not sure, LuganoPirate. I hold two Amex cards, one British, one Swiss and they both work fine in ATMs in Kenya. I use them for hotel bills too. I still don’t see why booking a flight to Mombasa is OK but Nairobi is verboten!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls