American Airlines to cancel Seattle-London

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

In February 2020 we reported “American Airlines to launch Seattle flights to Bengaluru and London” – see link below.

Well the latter never happened for one reason or another. The last being the closure of Russian airspace.

Seattle-London did launch in March 2021 but is currently suspended during the winter flying season.

The above route was expected to resume end March 2024.

But today’s news from US-based Ishrion Aviation is that American Airlines has now cancelled plans to operate Seattle-London.

These flights have now been removed from its inventory.

The route remains served by British Airways.

American Airlines to launch Seattle flights to Bengaluru and London

Olneyflyer
    Participant

I also thought that BA were increasing their Seatle frequency to take account of the AA withdrawel. My understanding is that the BA brand is stronger in the region with business travellers and as such would stand more chances of success. It will be interesting to see where AA will service with the unallocated LHR takeoff slot.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Indeed Olneyflyer.

BA’s other advantage is the number and variety of onward connections it can market beyond LHR.

It’s believed that AA will boost its MIA-LHR service to double-daily throughout summer 2024. In other words the slot for SEA-LHR will transfer to MIA-LHR.

(I say “believed” because AA has yet to confirm anything officially but the flight changes appear on its website).

1 user thanked author for this post.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Olneyflyer: Bang on, I live in Seattle and BA has a very strong brand here. Actually, the London-Seattle market is huge and even VS almost always flies full. Yes, BA was to start a 3rd daily (dep SEA 1130p) but plans were shelved, and I was told that they had some issues getting permissions from the DoT which is why they ended up starting the PDX route. My wife has had the “misfortune” of flying LHR-PDX-SEA (I say misfortune as the intl – domestic transit experience in PDX is awful) and she tells me literally half the flight is folks headed to Seattle!

Prior to pandemic, VS was also gearing up for its 2nd daily (rather, 5 new weekly) but DL took away the other Skyteam SEA-LHR slot.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

As expected BA will provide more capacity on its LHR-SEA route.

From May 1 BA will replace its 777-200ER with the larger 777-300ER. Except July 1-28 when its 787-10 will be deployed.

For LHR-MIA from March 31 BA will downgrade its schedule to a single daily A380 (currently double-daily).

MarkivJ
    Participant

Thanks AMC but I presume this is for the morning flight? Evening one is already 77w in summer

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Indeed it is MarkivJ.

The flights in question from May 1 will be BA 52 (departing LHR at 0950) and BA 53 (departing SEA at 1335).

As noted above in July (July 1 to 28) the aircraft type for the above will be B787-10.

MarkivJ
    Participant

I’m well aware of challenges in getting Heathrow slots, but I wish we still had a 3rd daily oneworld flight versus capacity expansion on an existing flight. the 645pm flight is hugely popular with locals (esp the IT crowd) as it allows us to finish up work and head more leisurely to the airport. I doubt BA will add any more frequencies to SEA though. The BA-PDX flight has become a surrogate for the SEA bound crowd.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls