American Airlines MD 80 Coach (short haul)

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

DFW EWR 2 hours 35 mins

Got seat 8A, bulkhead row in coach, no-one next to me, so a bonus. Althought he Super 80 does not feature in AA’s plans for the long term future, the cabin was clean and tidy and in very good condition.

Cabin crew were pleasant, the captain was particularly informative as we climbed out through some dodgy weather, letting people know what was going on and when we would be into smoother air. In fact, the lightly loaded MD80 climbed like a missile and avoided most of the worst bits, combined with some neatly done ‘canyon’ flying to minimise the bumps.

Service was paid for, but I got a free drink as my seat cushion had needed replacing, which inconvenienced me. Apparently the crew appreciated that I didn’t take it out on them and said ‘this one’s on us, for being a gentleman.’ Very nice.

Once north of Memphis, the cloud thinned out and there were some lovely views, including a perfect DC, with the main sights all visible.

A descent over the Chesapeak Bay set us up for an approach into Newark and after a bit of vectoring to get us on final from the north, we touched down well ahead of schedule, due to tail winds.

The baggage was out after 15 mins and my priorit tagged bag was in the first 20.

All in all, a very competently managed flight, with a pleasant crew, couldn’t have asked for more.

sparkyflier
    Participant

A nice trip report and what seems a very pleasant flight. The MD-80s will in my opinion be missd when they eventually retire, which they pretty much have done in the EU now.

esselle
    Participant

Great plane. Most of my flights were either AA in the USA or SAS in Europe.

Quiet as anything if you were in the front, and, on SAS at least, really comfy seats.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

FDoS, you say your bags were priority tagged, so I assume you are a oneworld elite. Not sure what level, but if you are emerald then the snacks and drinks on board are complimentary. You cal also pre-book seats, and have access to the “Main Cabin Preferred” seats (which aren’t the same as Main Cabin Extra, rather they are just the better-positioned seats)

I have really been pleased with the on board service on all my recent AA flights, it’s just a shame the ground service is rather sub-par!

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

I’m flying 2 sectors on this aircraft in February next year on a BA ticket, out WT+, home CW. On BA it says to go to AA’s site for seating on the AA sectors but I can’t find where to do that. Any ideas? I am an AA member – lowest level – but can’t get their system to recognise my BA booking ref or even can’t find the booking when logged into the AA system. I randomly got allocated 23A outbound but nothing inbound. I used the Finnair system to get my seating as recommended on here by some helpful person. Anyone any ideas?

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Call AA, give them the BA PNR and ask them to give you the underlying AA PNR, then select your seat on the AA website.

Don’t ask the agent to do it, or they will charge you.

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

Thank you FDos, I will do that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls