AMENITY KITS

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

jsn55
    Participant

Since I spend alot of time worrying about the poor airlines’ ability to make a profit, I am puzzled by the elaborate amenity kits on international flights in biz/first class. If you don’t know what’s in the amenity kit, you have to pack “your own important stuff” like lip balm, tissues, sleep socks, etc. Then the nice, expensive kit is just useless. Airlines could list their kits’ contents on the website, so us compulsive types can leave the extras at home.

Since that is probably a dumb idea, maybe they could provide an empty kit and a container of assorted goodies … each passenger could pick only the items they wanted and could use. Honestly, it bothers me to throw away the ear plugs and toothbrush and other stuff.

Nuremberg-Blue
    Participant

sell them on Ebay as thats where alot of the unwanted/unused amenity kits end up.

AlfieNeto
    Participant

I totaly agree with you. Lots of item are just wasted, when they could well be used. I personally carry my own tooth brush and other items.

JamesMalta
    Participant

I just love them, they are useful and mean there is less for me to carry, they basically all have the ame sort of thing in them, and socks are always available. Or keep them unopened and just give away to your PA on return or a teen relative.

RebeccaBallatine
    Participant

If I remember rightly when I flew Korean Air Bus Class you could request the items you needed / wanted from the flight attendant so that things are not wasted. A very good idea I think- other airlines should follow and then there would be less waste (and fewer ear plugs on E-bay…)

ReiseTante
    Participant

Virgin now leaves sock/shoebag/toothbrush on the seat and you choose what from the basket of lip balm, moistureizer, shaving kit, etc.

LindsayW
    Participant

I’ve got a 50 litre plastic storage case full of oneworld amenity kits.

I’ve ended up giving them away as gifts, or using them for guests who stay in our home…leaving them with the towels, flip flops and soaps that invariably come back with me from frequent hotel stays.

Special-Agent-X
    Participant

Virgin Atlantic have adopted the approach of just picking out the bits you need. You get a shoe bag containing socks and a toothbrush and then the crew bring around a bowl with all the other bits and bobs which you can take or decline.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

On her last trip to Thailand my wife got rather annoyed when she found out that Thai (ROC) had run out of “Jim Jams “Amenity Kits on her first class r/t to Bangkok/Chiang Mai.

She dosnt drink so all the “Champers” goes to waste and her attitude to her food is faily conservative…apart from macademia nuts??…dont know why..but no goodie bags…Help …Not Fair.

I suggested that with the recent oil price hikes and big tax increases by Thai International and with their Budget restraints and cutbacks they now expect their First Class passengers to sleep in the nude.

GuyRidgeon
    Participant

As a Bangkok resident; I was unaware that Thai offered first class on its Chain Mai route; I have only been offered business. Anyway; who needs pajamas on a 55 minute flight anyway?
    PS I agree that the champagne is not wasted!

terrymcmanus
    Participant

As a London,Samut Prakan and Chiang Mai resident and having flown the jump between Bangers and Chiangers maybe 100 plus times I would agree that indeed Thai Domestic do not have a First Class service between said.

I was of course refering to khun wifes London /Bankok/London International route in “Le Premier” Class…minus aforementioned “J-Js”
    This of course being a regular 12 hour journey and in order to avoid dissapointment I have suggested that on future trips she should bring her own.

Agree about the Champers.

alamyfly
    Participant

At risk of taking this thread a different place:

Has anybody thought that local custom might prefer pjs to champers?

Which got me to thinking whether we can always reconcile our political correctness over culture with our political correctness over the environment??

Supposing there is a culture out there that grabs amenity kits by the armful. Then smashes them to bits in a display of conspicuous consumption on the airport runway. Are we non-judgemental?

StephenJWhitworth
    Participant

I always save my kits and donate them to worthwhile charities which sell them to raise money.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls