Alaska B737-9 Max incident

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

• FDOS
    Participant

Being reported that a window (looks like an exit hatch opening to me – I believe it is an option in one position and Alaska may have taken the aircraft with this hatch ‘plugged’) and some fuselage detached passing 16,000 feet, resulting in an emergency return and landing.

Alaska has grounded their 65 737 9 Max fleet, pro tem.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Would appear to be a plug, rather than a proper exit, door.

If you refer to the final photo on this BBC link you can see the door (or most of the door) having been detached from the fuselage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67899564

FDOS
    Participant

Ouch!

TBH, I didn’t realise that one could ‘plug’ an exit hatch, until I saw this.

Will be interesting to read the final accident report.

Good news is no injuries.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Is this going to be another chapter of “undisclosed issues” in the history of the 737 Max?

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

The FAA has now ordered the grounding of 171 Boeing 737 MAX 9 aircraft.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67903655

Johnnyg
    Participant

Interestingly it did not state which airlines. This is in addition that all 737 Max aircraft have had to complete a check for a loose bolt in the rudder system as of 23 Dec 23. This under a directive from Boeing itself.

GBAIR72
    Participant

I wont fly on that plane even if they paid me.
    If that child hadn’t been wearing a seatbelt he would be dead.
    I just don’t understand why airlines keep buying this flawed aircraft and people don’t mind flying it.

1 user thanked author for this post.

GBAIR72
    Participant

I think you mean 737-9. United and Alaska are main operators

Inquisitive
    Participant

I believe this door plug thing could be the result of super greedy airlines and aircraft makers to install more seats.

The important of adequate space is clear from Japan airlines and many other incidents. And so is passenger comfort like seat width, leg space and toilet sizes.

Regulators need to think hard and work on maximum seat allowed.
    Also Max already had an issue with optional feature earlier. Regulator shall not allow any optional feature that is anyway linked to safety.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Some reports are saying that the window seat was not occupied, had it been doesn´t bear thinking about

DavidGrodentz
    Participant

Inquisitive – I believe it is the opposite. The pair of emergency exits is required for airlines that fill the plane to the Max (pardon the pun). Airlines that don’t, such as Alaska who have fewer seats, don’t require the additional emergency exits, hence have these fuselage plugs instead

AndrewinHK
    Participant

@inquisitive the Max 9 if it is fully stacked with seats needs the extra emergency door, Alaska’s configuration for the Max 9 means the extra door is not needed, so they install a plug door as it is lighter and more cost-effective.

SimonS1
    Participant

Just when you thought Boeing’s reputation couldn’t be trashed any further.

SimonS1
    Participant

Tonight it is being reported that United have found the same fault of loose bolts on multiple aircraft. It really doesn’t sound too smart.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Thus far 171 aircraft out of service. Boeing shares dropped 9%

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls